Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
He couldn't have done. Jesus Alou was born in the 1940s, I believe.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is getting so silly, I mind as well join in:

There is a fellow by the name of Bar-Jesus in the Bible.
Perhaps this is the one sampling the various 'bar' concoctions, Irish whiskeys and cheese?

(Now I know it's getting close to seeking professional guidance)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
He couldn't have done.

I like the way the British say "he couldn't have done."

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
He couldn't have done. Jesus Alou was born in the 1940s, I believe.

You may be right.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why does cheeses and Jesus sound alike?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aha! But not if you call him by his given name, Yeshua!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Gesundheit!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what our world would be like if all who seek Jesus and find solice in His teachings would simply BE Jesus and walk in the spirit, stooping to help each of our fellows as we find them in need. If we could learn this lesson then we could stop hate and indifference to the sufferings of our fellows, and DO SOMETHING about it, rather than quote scripture at each other. I am trying to do this in my own life in some small way. Those who in the past were known as Adepts, may of approached this path and could walk in the light of kindness to others, first. Putting self behind is a very hard thing to do, because it is programmed in the genes as witnessed in Maslow's hierarchy. To master the self is a work of life-long learning.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, well it does say someday every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus the Christ is Lords over all. Unfortunately, if you don't know him know, in grace, you will know him later, in irons. And it's fair to note that the irons scripture speaks about is not metal irons, but the struggles of the soul and spirit locked into endless combat with itself.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this the Religion Channel or the Ray Bradbury Forum?

Sometimes it's difficult to tell.
In addition, you two should be calling each other on the phone about this stuff...not posting it up, or at least you could use email.

If you don't stop, I'm going to bring you to reality and tell you where we REALLY come from, and it's NOT 'created in seven days by a Caucasian-based God.'

Religion can be a good thing. It has also been used as a catalyst to inflict human suffering and misery. Much of it is based on fear, which I find appalling.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blevins, you have as much understanding of where you came from as I know where my next door neighbor was doing 35 years ago to the day. I love these doctors that talk about what's going thru the mind of kids and behaviour problems stuff. They seem like they have forgotten everything it was like to be a kid, as if they never were.

Let me tell you something point blank. I am utterly stupid. A spiritual and moral wreck. An ignorant sob who couldn't tell you the right time of the moral day. But one more thing, thru a lot of pain, mental and moral pain, have discovered what Christ was talking about. Just a glimmer to begin with, and a little more glimmer today. I beginning to underdstand what it means when he takes on my stupid life, and holds out a hand for me to grab his life.

So when you are going to tell me something and set me straight, go ahead. I'm just an old basic sinner in need of grace. You going to improve on that?

I think it was rocket who supplied theidea for a forum for religion postings. Bradbury is all about Religion, tho much of it secular religion. The little drab drop of pertinent religious words he drops salivates the reader. It's great to talk about, no?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Knox, hang it up. Your wasting your breath here like I have. There are some Christians onboard here. That's good. But this forum is made up largely of unbelievers. Nice people. Tho being nice doesn't get you to heaven.

Be cool.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
patrask, well it does say someday every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus the Christ is Lords over all. Unfortunately, if you don't know him know, in grace, you will know him later, in irons. And it's fair to note that the irons scripture speaks about is not metal irons, but the struggles of the soul and spirit locked into endless combat with itself.

Change a few word, add seven virgins and Ahlah and you could be a Muslin fanatic.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Phil Knox, hang it up. Your wasting your breath here like I have. There are some Christians onboard here. That's good. But this forum is made up largely of unbelievers. Nice people. Tho being nice doesn't get you to heaven.

Be cool.

Maybe we could just try and get it right in this life, by working at it, do the right things, instead of telling each other that we are all sinners from birth, etc. and waiting for the next life. If we take care of each other in this one, it could become Heaven on earth. Peace out!

posted Hide Post
patrask, I said I wasn't going to talk Religion anymore, but after reading your post, here I go again!
I'm not waiting for the next life. It's already here. If I couldn't begin to see it, I'd be running after a fantasy. Jesus said, "I assure you, unless you are born again, you can never even see the Kingdom of God." That's what he told that rich Nicodemus guy. And, of course, Nicodemus wants to know about this born again stuff. And he asks, "How can an old man go back into is mother's womb and be born again?"

I always am amazed that people think some of these questions were never asked, much less answered. Like the one Christ was asked when the world as we know it would end. And he told the guy that asked that question, "I don't know."
How about that? That's pretty clear. You got all these people running around thru the decades saying they know exactly when. Whose fault is that? The Christian faith, or the people themselves. Just because you can get a rough idea of when, it doesn't give you an exact time. And that was what the guy was asking. Of course, there is more to it than that, but that's a slice.

Getting back for a moment to this born again stuff, and heaven talk. Jesus went on to say to Nicodemus who asked about this born again notion, Jesus said "The truth is, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit births in one new life from heaven. So don't be surprised at my statement that you must be born again. Just as you can hear the wind but can't tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can't explain how people are born of the Spirit."
Now Jesus doesn't stop there. Because Nicodemus likely sat Christ down on the park stone bench and just had to ask more questions. Guess what his next question was in scripture? It was, "What do you mean?"

Now certainly I'm not going to attempt to write down all the things Christ said to his question, but the point was the Spirit gives you a camera- quick shutter image of heaven sometimes (likely the dusty corner of some lesser known corner) and with the transient vessel that we are, it's a pretty cloudy picture, but a hint nontheless. And that is enough the make the artist paint a masterpiece, the composer create a majestic timeless symphony.