Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 125

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Religion 101 or How is the orange crop doing?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post

................................... ...said the spider to the fly? Eeker

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

................................... ...said the spider to the fly? Eeker

I'm not a spider! I would welcome your conversation.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.... No problem. I already mentioned to Phil (patrask) about getting together. So you name the time .... and the place, Douglas...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ir must be a place that is relatively quiet and has an endless supply of Irish coffee, to stimulate the thought processes and to mitigate the temper, so that communication can take place, not confrontation. If I lived back in good old Santa Monica, I would have suggested Barney's Beanery in West hollywood, I drank a few there in my youth. But, alas, probably should be something more mundane and a little farther South into Orange County.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... PHIL (patrask): Do they have a quiet corner somewheres? Roll Eyes Referring to an Irish Pub in Newport Beach by the name of Muldoon's Irish Pub, with an endless supply of Irish Coffee. They're at 202 Newport Center Drive, Newport Beach 949- 640-4110. They are open until midnight and beyond. Unfortunaty, Doug Spaulding lives on the other side of the world, way up north.... What's mid-way???
There was another place nearby that seemed to have a quiet corner, but no one is answering their phones today. Maybe the phone rings too quietly as well... Will try again...

... Ray was way down in San Diego-way today,(Saturday, 7th) lecturing at the Learning Anex. Hope all went well. Since Jerry Weist (BRADBURY: AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE) is in town, I'd guess he may have tagged along, with Patrick doing the driving......

posted Hide Post
Don't go to one of those pubs with obnoxious loud music where you have to stuff your ears for the safety of your hearing.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I'm (very) new, but I'm a few miles south of Irvine, and I was curious if I might be allowed to tag along on the Orange County, CA Irish Coffee get-together. There are two Irish bar and grills in my area: one I haven't been to and one which smells fetid.

If not, it's no problem; I'm mostly interested in sitting and listening anyway.

Much thanks!

- - - - -

Remember, Remember, the Month of November / Dialogue, Setting, and Plot / I'm hearing wishes that laundry and dishes / Wouldn't just sit there, forgot.

Posts: 11 | Location: South Orange County, CA, U.S. | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, the best Irish coffee in the world may be found at the Buena Vista in good old San Francisco near the warf. they clam to have imported the recipe from Shannon years ago, I have made same using their rules and it was almost as good. The secret is real cream and lots of it on top of Tillamore Dew and two cubes of sugar in the coffee. Not a low cal drink but one that stimulates the mind and awakens the soul, especially on a blustery evening. I am up for anything.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, doesn't the world get small sometimes... Like now for instance! Surprise! Here's another person in South Orange County, California!

Reminds me of a funny story Ray Bradbury told a long while back. (Please someone correct me if it's a little different) but as I remember it, (Ray mentioning it a long while ago, remind you again), he was waiting for a bus in downtown Los Angeles way back when, and struck up a conversation with a stranger waiting alongside him. As they were talking about things, the conversation went to where they were both from. It happened that the fellow standing next to Ray was from Waukegan, Illinois, Ray's boyhood home, and then from a particular street in Waukegan, one Ray was very familiar with, and then...then...the house that Ray used to live in. Can't recall from the top of my head exactly what happened afterwards. But it seems it had to do with Ray getting sort-of-mildly tad uncomfortable (scared) of the circumstances being what they were with Ray confronting someone out of the clear blue saying he lived in the very house Ray used to... perhaps in the very same room...

Anyone that can fill in the blank spots I would be most thankful.

Jess: Welcome.
Except, we may be 'boring' to you if you are only in it for the listening part. Now, if you have something to say, that may bring a little spark to the occasion...and the others probably wouldn't mind...I don't think...

posted Hide Post
Nard, I think your fly and spider analogy is correct. The story of the wineskin plays out here. If you try to pour new wine, the truth, into an old wineskin, meaning those people set in their ways, the wineskin will burst with too much information to handle, and the place may be suddenly found with upturned tables and chairs, for a start.
They may also kidnap you and force the Bradbury board to pay a ransom. In which case you wouldn't be around anytime soon.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doug Spaulding lives on the other side of the world, way up north...What's mid-way???

North Ventura county, up near the ocean, where the fog is thick and the days are cool, is where I reside.

Midway would be approximately Inglewood, but let's not.

Tell you what, we will find ourselves somewhere in your area on the weekend of Saturday, April 21, or perhaps Sunday. Let me just verify this with "She-Who-Must-be-Obeyed", and I'll get back to you.

We might just be able to drink that cup, and save the world, too!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Just Jess:
...I was curious if I might be allowed to tag along on the Orange County, CA Irish Coffee get-together. There are two Irish bar and grills in my area: one I haven't been to and one which smells fetid.

Any friend of Ray is a friend of we!

Fetid is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
The secret is real cream and lots of it on top of Tullamore Dew and two cubes of sugar in the coffee.

Ah, Tullamore Dew - you take me back.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, doesn't the world get small sometimes... Like now for instance! Surprise! Here's another person in South Orange County, California!

Isn't anyone from North Orange County, California!?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, if you have something to say, that may bring a little spark to the occasion...and the others probably wouldn't mind...I don't think...

You got that right!

"Live Forever!"