Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451 or The Pedestrian?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 or The Pedestrian?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Just curious! Have the students seen the RB Theater video of "The Pedestrian?" It is quite well adapted to the s.s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLPiSyHcDiU

The poetic comments of the Pedestrian, Leonard Mead, are classic.
"Walking. Just walking!"
Enjoy!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Just curious! Have the students seen the RB Theater video of "The Pedestrian?" It is quite well adapted to the s.s.

The poetic comments of the Pedestrian, Leonard Mead, are classic.
"Walking. Just walking!"
Enjoy!

I only had enough time to watch the first part of the movie. Of what I've seen, it is very different from the short story. I did enjoy it though. I thought it was funny when the guy felt the grass ,and then they tasted the grass. He says "Oh bitter!" I did not get to watch the second part of the video ,but I am looking forward to seeing whether the talking police car is going to be in it. Thank you though fjp451, I will encourage my fellow classmates to watch this video. I think it will get them going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VeryProvocative,

provocative- to provoke or to get going

Posts: 5 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Rose about technology it is what you make of it and sometimes people chose to use it right and sometimes they don't. Also to fjp451 it is very different from the book as was the F451 movie but I did enjoy it. My time on this site definitiley has showed me that Ray Bradbury is an inspirational author, and has taught me alot but not only on him but about the world around me I would like to thank you regulars on here for sharing your expertise and being patient with us. This assignment has been different but very rewarding. Thanks alot and goodbye.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My friend Chard's version is really good, too.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VP ~ S64: "...the guy felt the grass ,and then they tasted the grass." That is truly a Ray Bradbury image. "Neat" that you picked up on it. He does this often when you get to know his style. Subtle yet very sensory! (Read the poetic work Martian Chronicles..amazing.)

Yes, the story does have a different twist on the screen. However, the starkness of the evening is still rather haunting, as in the written version. The cracked and weed-filled sidewalks, the tv's reflecting through the windows, the sounds echoing into the background as "the men" bravely walk in the night.

This story was motivated by an actual encounter RB had when a young man. He was stopped by a police car, along with a couple of his friends, and asked what he was doing out walking at night. It seemed an unusual inquiry for such an innocent and normal action. But this added to his impressions (the metaphor) that would lead to his eventual writing of the final version of F451. (It was called originally "The Fireman" and appeared in Galaxy Magazine. http://28.media.tumblr.com/tum...a851qc8b0ao1_400.jpg

The conclusion in the video (I won't give it away) is unique, but we are not far from this either, as in the end of the narration in the story.

Next time you are simply going around the block for a relaxing saunter, and your folks ask, "Where are you going?", please be sure to respond, "Walking! Just walking!"

I'd greatly appreciate it!Smiler

DS: There is a very accurate tone that comes across in your friend's version. Maybe the technologies of today have finally caught up with RB's writing and themes. (Is this a release coming soon? His bio reflects quite a life loving gentleman!)

The IM would be a great re-make, too.
Is that a modern attempt I see of F451 coming down the road? ...I didn't thinks so! (I'll stop asking.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TV version of "The Pedestrian" follows the concept of Ray's stage play version: he gives the pedestrian a walking companion. I've never been totally comfortable with this, since it goes against the "solitary man" idea of the original story. However, it gives Bradbury a way of dramatising some ideas which otherwise wouldn't work in a visual medium.

I've noticed a number of posters have referred to "The Pedestrian" as a book. Is this a slip of the tongue? It's a short story! Is there a book that just contains this one story? If so, it's news to me! Anyone care to comment?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I've noticed a number of posters have referred to "The Pedestrian" as a book. Is this a slip of the tongue? It's a short story! Is there a book that just contains this one story? If so, it's news to me! Anyone care to comment?

Some of the short stories were separately released as illustrated books but I don't know which ones.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading both The Pedestrian and Fahrenheit 451, I have noticed how easily Ray makes it to relate to the character and what is happening. He describes the setting with so much detail that it really makes you feel like you are in the situation and in the books world. I prefer The Pedestrian, because I feel like it put me in the book more than Fahrenheit 451 did. It describes the houses as dead and as if the character is the only person left in the world. I like having this feeling of being in the place and painting a picture in my mind. Thats why i think alot of us like books better than movies. A movie shows you the characters face and who they are, but in a book the characters look however you want them to. Its your mind creating the characters which makes it easy to relate to and enjoy the book even more.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would honestly have to say that I personally enjoyed The Pedestrian better. I sometimes enjoy short stories more than books. F451 was not my favorite book, as I have said, but there were some parts where I was curious to know what would happen next.

His writings were the first science fiction books I have read. My choice of book normally would be romantic novels. Personally the author Nicholas Sparks. F451 being my first science fiction book wasn't to bad of a choice though. I don't regret reading it. It was a good book. It opened up new genres to my readings.

To get back on topic I did find The Pedestrian to be better. I enjoyed reading it more. To be honest, one reason possibly being that I knew it wasn't going to take me longer than a half hour to read. Another reason being that I found it be be more interesting. Both although were good books.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zb56 most recently said how Fahrenheit 451 was her first science fiction novel. That surprises me that some people have not even read a science fiction novel yet. I guess someone could say the same about me tho, on the point of that I have never read a romantic book before. Maybe one day I will, but maybe thats why some of us had a hard time connecting with Fahrenheit 451. I would like to know for how many people, Fahrenheit 451 was their first science fiction novel. Maybe this is where we could base the root of our confusion of the book? Having it be the first taste of science fiction we have had.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
DS: There is a very accurate tone that comes across in your friend's version. Maybe the technologies of today have finally caught up with RB's writing and themes. (Is this a release coming soon? His bio reflects quite a life loving gentleman!)
It's been done for a few years. Not sure his intentions.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the Pedestrian more than I liked Fahrenheit451. I liked how in the Pedestrian Ray went in the great detail about the character and the setting. He used very descriptive words that really got my attention. Ray Bradbury may not be my favorite author but the Pedestrian would definitely be something that I would recommend other people to read. I watched the video that fjp451 posted and I really enjoyed it. The video was different from the book but I thought it was more interesting. I think the other character that was with Leonard Mead and the helicopter added a more dramatic and terrifying effect.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodMann22:
A movie shows you the characters face and who they are, but in a book the characters look however you want them to. Its your mind creating the characters which makes it easy to relate to and enjoy the book even more.

That's the upside to Ray's presentation of character, letting the reader mostly imagine them as they want rather than forcing them to be envisioned a certain way.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, Fahrenheit 451 was a lot better than the Pedestrian. Fahrenheit 451 I thought was amazing. The book really ook you outside of the box and made you thing about things you've never thought of before. It was possibly one of the best books I've ever read. It was truly beautiful the way Bradbury wrote it. The pedestrian, however, I was dissappointed with. I didn't really get to know anything about any of the characters, and I thought the story line was a bit dull. Bradbury is a talented writer and I think Fahrenheit 451 was one of his better works.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally think that fahreinheit 451 is a better book when compare to "the pedestrian". I thought both books were a little bit confusing. The pedestrian had no point to me. I didn't think it was that interesting of a book. It was kind of a boring book. Fahreinheit may not be my favorite book but it was interesting. It was confusing but once I understood it I thought it was a good book! That is just my personal opinion on these two books.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post