Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The drive to write

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The drive to write
 Login/Join

posted
I'd just like to say that Ray Bradbury, as one of my favourite authors has truly given me the drive to continue writing short stories. I noticed that most of his short stories tend to reflect something in his life, whether directly or indirectly and since I had struggled to know how to write a piece of short fiction for so long Ray's stories have shown me that they will flow from pen to paper (of keyboard to Word) if they're about something you know or have experienced.

Posts: 1 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A popular guideline in writing is, "Write what you know about." Of course Sci-Fi and Fantasy involve a lot of creativity, but to have a jumping off point of familiarity is beneficial...or do a lot of research.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always use solid logic and realism as a starting point with lots of verisimilitude and detailed or 'in the know' description, then gradually introduce the supernatural or impossible; the reader will sense continuity and his disbelief will be temporarily suspended.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't listen to anybody here. Write what you want. It's your call. Time will tell if you did a good job.
Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post