Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray is an artist?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray is an artist?
 Login/Join

posted
I just checked out the new edition of the Halloween Tree at Gauntlet Press, and they show pictures of oil paintings that he did of Halloween Trees?

You mean to say that Ray is an artist, too? This is awesome!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, he has actually illustrated the covers of a couple of his books and sketched designs for artists to illustrate others.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Ray's artistry is showcased very well in Jerry Weist's book (here it is on Amazon's website - used copies are quite cheap now, so it's a good investment!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been fortunate, as I am sure that others have as well, but when I have sent him a book to sign many times he has done an illustration. He drew a whale with a miniture Ray on it's back in his book Green Shadow-White Whale, and a dinosaur in Dinosaur Tales, plus a dandelion in Dandelion Wine, and also a dandelion in Something Wicked This Way Comes when I sent him a framed 8" x 10" photo of a field of dandelions.

He even illustrated a package that contained a book being sent back to me. So each little item is a work of art. Neat! I think.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is completely cool. I am an artist, rather than a writer as many people here seem to be, so it is amazing to me that so many gifts of talent can be rolled into one person.

I'll definitely get the Illustrated life of Bradbury. I liked the Halloween tree paintings, he has a nice color sense and a pretty good line quality on the black and white drawing. Very loose. Bukowski drew, also, we did a couple of lithos for some of Black Sparrow's editions of his books at work.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patience and discipline is the key to any branch of art. It seems fitting that a good author, who finds beauty in the simple things would take up painting.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post