Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Bradbury's Wristwatch Make/Model?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's Wristwatch Make/Model?
 Login/Join

posted
Here's one that I don't think anyone has hit on: What kind of watch is Ray wearing in this well-known author photo?

I was thinking it'd be kind of fun to try and track one down on ebay, but I wasn't sure of the make/model. At first I thought it might be a calculator watch of some kind, but looking at it more closely, I don't think that's the case.

So, anyone have any ideas?

David

Posts: 37 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And sorry for the gigantic photo. Didn't realize it would be so big.

posted Hide Post
I've wondered about that watch, too! From the shape of it, and the position of the brand name, I'm guessing it's a Casio or an Otron. I've browsed a few hundred images on Google, but haven't yet found a close match.

If there were a clearer version of the photo, we might be in with a better chance...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a bit more google-ing around and looks like I found it.

The watch appears to be a Seiko M516 Voice Note. They came out in the early 1980s and featured a voice recorder and playback. The storage space was minimal--you could really only record a few seconds. So I doubt Ray was using it to dictate stories to himself. Haha!

The watch is sought after by fans of the movie "Ghostbusters" as it is the model worn by Ramis, Murray, etc. in the movie.

I found one up for sale on ebay. As of this writing it has 19 bids with one day left on the auction. The current high bid is a bit over a hundred dollars.

posted Hide Post
Well done! Here's some clearer images of that Seiko watch:

http://tinyurl.com/mxysc56

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury, lover of technologically advanced gadgets? Hooda thunket?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was probably trying to warn us of the dangers of timepiece technology...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
My glasses were identical during that same time period. Still have them, but the prescription is different.

The photo is by (the late?) Thomas Victor.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a new thread: Ray Bradbury's specs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/i...BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

- Phil