Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How many people saw the new Narnia movie?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many people saw the new Narnia movie?
 Login/Join

posted
How many agree this is how all of Bradbury's works ought to be filmed?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loved this movie, and am going back to see it a second time this week. All of the young actors were great, but especially the little girl who played Lucy. She was fantastic at capturing so many of the emotions I always pictured Lucy feeling in the many times I have read that book. And Tilda Swinton as the White Witch deserves an Academy Award nomination, in my opinion. She was truly terrifying. I'm not sure when she was worse--when she was trying to act sweet to Edmund so he would lure his siblings to her castle or when she was in the thick of the battle. The way she wielded two swords at a time was astounding and horrifying. I think she is too scarey for little kids to watch. I am taking one of my nieces and my nephew to see it later this week, but not the littlest niece who is not quite four. She would be scared out of her wits. I heard that if this movie was a success, which it has been and in a big way, they will make "Prince Caspian" as their next movie. And yes, this is how Ray's movies need to be made!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to see "Narnia" and "Kong" this week.
Will report...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw "Narnia" this afternoon. Wonderful! I especially liked how faithful to the book it is, and how perfect are the characters' personalities.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faithfulness to the book was half of what I was talking about. Brilliant special effects the other half. Technology has finally caught up to writers' imaginations. THE TIME IS NOW.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen both Kong and Narnia and loved them both. Kong could have been a little shortened, leave out the bugs, but I thought it did justice to the 1933 original, which I have seen many times. Narnia was beautiful. I can see where the religiously challenged might think this to be "their" movie, but I as a non-religious viewer, thought the story was a very nice adaptation of a great epic fairytale that I read only a few years ago. Go see them both!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw Narnia. Wonderful! I'm still wiping away tears as I write this. You’re right, dear dandelion, the time is now.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
hi there, new to the forums but figured this would be a nice thread to start out in.. saw chronicles of narnia as well, absolutely loved tilda swinton's performance.. she definitely makes the movie.. and the little girl is adorable.

"I'm seventeen and I'm crazy. My uncle says the two always go together. When people ask your age, he said, always say seventeen and insane."

Posts: 1 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadistica:

Much in Western culture seems to say it's natural to be young and crazy. Not much written about how by the time one gets wisdom, one has become bent over and their hair has turned white. Well, in fact, there was a song written years ago. About one marrying again after a long bad marriage...but now that one is wiser, has a sense of being level-headed, and the lyrics go something like this:

"It's more beautiful the second time around.
Just wonderful with both feet on the ground.
It's that 2nd time that you hear those old songs sung...
It makes you think perhaps that all these things are wasted on the young..."

However, it ain't always true...youth being wasted on the young...

The great prophet in the Old Testament, Zechariah, was said to be under 20 years of age. Some of the apostles were in their late teens, early twenties. There are droves of people today under 20 with fascinating minds who have a genuine sense of themselves ..including their stupidity, yet by some act of grace and/or genetics, know wisdom.

I like Ray Bradbury's take on being yourself in your art: "...if you look to the world to give you direction, you are already lost."

I'd say the most persuasive and delusional draw there can be at an early age, is to have no regard to dealing with the baser instincts of oneself. Or not troubled by no understanding of how to deal with it. Thru many years gone by they were called a 'fool'. In today's culture, often referred to as 'cool'!
__

Glad you enjoyed Narnia. C.S. Lewis wrote what is considered one of the greatest series of Christian-based stories in the 20th century. Tolkien, another. That both were great friends, is one of those events in the world of literature that remind one of that other great friendships... of Melville, Emerson, and Hawthorne...

_________

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadistica,
Your uncle must be a wonderfully interesting gentleman.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that is all the uncle has to say to Sadistica, he sounds pretty stupid!

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you guys teasing or did you really not recognize that quote?

posted Hide Post
Come to think about it... that's from 'Fahrenheit 451'. ha ha ha !!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me where the dummy line begins?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post