Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
As a tentative test to see how possible it may be to reclaim Buster and how far I may yet be, with some trepidation watched Sherlock, Jr. on Wednesday evening. Luckily it did not make me angry or wretched. I could appreciate it as ingenious and funny, but at not much more than for the two Chaplin movies I viewed recently. Well, maybe a little better, but certainly not the Buster buzz I had on viewing his work before the recent bloodbath. In other words, my enjoyment hasn't been destroyed but there's the same sort of barrier up as with any old movie to which I feel no deep attachment--as something rather clever some dead people did a long time ago--so I can see I have a ways to recover, if recovery is even possible.

The item about George Lucas discouraged the hell out of me. So if you're not successful or popular enough, you lose funding or don't get it in the first place, and if you're too popular, everyone's a critic? Is there no
way to win? (The hardest advice is to be happy anyway--which I think I could do on a fraction of Lucas's income but never had the opportunity to find out.)

http://entertainment.msn.com/b...b07f3-d88a-4d47-8df\
7-4557e17d344f&silentchk=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Granted, maybe Lucas wants to retire anyway and is just taking a parting swipe at the nasty fans by turning the others against them with, "They're the reason you don't get any more movies," without full consideration of how fans who have been loyal for years might take this, but it does give one pause.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bloodbath?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Doug, the whole story is on my Facebook status starting from the end of December. A goodly portion is also here but that gives a more complete story. I was starting to wonder if anyone was reading this or would respond. Any response--here, on Facebook, or by email, would be great. I have put it out a lot of places, I've been that upset.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion ~

I'm detecting Asperger's here. No need to feel rejected - we all encounter real or perceived rejection. Difference in the UK is we're not bothered by "success" or "popularity" - save for a few reality TV dimwits who perform for money. You can't expect everyone in this life to concur with your views. Isn't it good enough YOU like Buster Keaton and he's added a new dimension to your life? Please do concentrate on your adorable little kitty and your own pleasure in exploration of Mr B's life. More importantly, please get on with your book/s because we're sitting here waiting ....!!!!

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Yes, Doug, the whole story is on my Facebook status starting from the end of December. A goodly portion is also here but that gives a more complete story. I was starting to wonder if anyone was reading this or would respond. Any response--here, on Facebook, or by email, would be great. I have put it out a lot of places, I've been that upset.

I've seen snippets, but must have missed a key point. I'll have to go back and reread.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Robert. Part of what was bothering me was I was in excruciating pain, especially after spending days cramped up in front of the internet barely breathing. It was obvious the pain was caused by keyboard and mouse issues, for one because that's all I've been doing besides read, and for two because the movements I made were exactly where it hurt when I went back to the computer after my chiropractic adjustment. It's also obvious if I can't even make message board posts and emails without being tied in knots I am not going to get through anything article length let alone book length. I need to get a carpenter over here to rearrange my setup in a more ergonomic fashion. I did speak to someone but he can't come right away as we're snowed in now. I am continuing with my research as far as reading, and my precious kittykat is the joy of my life.

posted Hide Post
dandelion, hope Orville returned.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
dandelion, hope Orville returned.

Yes, he showed up inside a curtain which is one of Buster's favorite places, where he chased him no doubt to teach him a lesson.

posted Hide Post
Okay, last night when I couldn't sleep/didn't want to go to bed until I had done everything I could think of regarding the situation, started searching online and found this blog http://notthekeatonsociety.blogspot.com/ by a guy who was screwed over worse than I by the same group. I have now happily joined his group and should be able to start on the road to recovery.

posted Hide Post
Notes to yourself, Ms Dandelion:

1. Stop trying to please everyone; it's humanly impossible.

2. NEVER again allow a pack of pretentious pit bulls to get to you. Seems you're not the only Christian to be thrown to the lions.

3. You've been a great moderator on this board. Allow yourself a pat on the back.

Onwards and upwards ...

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ps Who's Orville?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robertp:
ps Who's Orville?

Well, here is the only picture I can find of Buster from Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960). Orville can just be glimpsed in the lower right hand corner.

Here is my Buster and Orville:

Proof that the lions may be thrown to the Christians:

But they may also lie down with the lambs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post

‎"But even so, amid the tornadoed Atlantic of my being, do I myself still for ever centrally disport in mute calm; and while ponderous planets of unwaning woe revolve round me, deep down and deep inland there I still bathe me in eternal mildness of joy."
Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robertp:
Dandelion ~

I'm detecting Asperger's here.

I suppose you mean on my part, which is very astute of you. I just did a search of the board and saw that I hadn't come out on here, which I didn't think I had. A few individual members know about it, (I would chance to guess a VERY few as Nard may have been the only one I told and he took the secret to his grave) but not the board. But, since I posted all this other stuff here, they might as well know of my disability.

My sister (the doctor) wonders why I am not more up front about it, but she ought to know. I was always treated as if I were a freak, and automatically wrong in every situation, no matter how unreasonable my opposition, because I am a freak. Therefore, I would never come out for two reasons: 1. Giving my opposition ammunition to use against me. ("Don't listen to her, she has a pervasive developmental disorder and can't possibly know what she's talking about--no matter what the issue.") 2. And--the thing which was anathema to Buster--"Asking for sympathy." Oh, I might if I've been run over and bleeding on the sidewalk, but not just for having a disability which I always had, have had all my life, but was not diagnosed till 2006, leaving four and a half decades for damage to be inflicted in the form of telling me how awful I am. And now I am getting it from the supposed fans of such an anomaly as Buster Keaton himself! (Who I have a firm belief had a pronounced case of it!)

As the expert Dr. Tony Attwood pointed out best, AS is the only disability which instantly disappears out of the presence of others. Someone with a vision problem or a lame leg, in a room alone will still have a vision problem or a lame leg. Someone with AS not interacting with other people, simply doesn't have a problem--so why would I make an issue of it?

You may as well know, my AS, mild a case though it is, is a huge part of why I remember almost everything I read. I can always tell a Bradbury from a non-Bradbury story except in the few very rare cases where the story is so obscure I actually haven't read it, or it's been so long I don't recognize it. On the stories I know, 99% of the time I can tell which story is found in which collection(s) without ever glancing at the book(s)--I just know. I also have a list of every book I ever remember reading. By the time I transferred this from handwritten, to typewritten, to typed on a better typewriter, to computer, to another computer, and now am trying to figure the best means to transfer it to the internet, I had pretty well memorized the list. So now when some poor clueless soul comes on AbeBooks or another "name that book" forum asking to identify a story by a vague description, I can not only identify the titles I've read, but those I know just by description, saving people a ton of effort. I could have made a good reference librarian if I only had the ability and skills to deal with the public.

Due to a lifelong pattern of bad treatment by people to whom I really did nothing to deserve it, often strangers, I absolutely don't go anywhere or do anything unless it means enough to me to risk the abuse. When I am interested enough in a subject that I really want to participate I try very hard. I try to persuade people not to bait and bully me. It's exhausting just dealing with them and they seem determined to drive me to the brink and see nothing wrong with that. I dunno, it's like I'm crazy for noticing they're crazy and for trying to deal with them as reasonable beings when they refuse to have it. Ignoring the bad behavior doesn't work either as they step it up.

The bottom line here--and I am very sorry to be called upon to confront this yet again, after things had been going right, however briefly, is--is who and what I am all right? I really resent the fact that these people have forced me to have to ask this. If it's all right to be who/what I am, it's therefore all right to like what I like and to say what I want about it. If I am all right, what I say will by definition be accurate and fair to the best of my ability...it goes without saying. If who or what I am is not all right, what can be done about it? If it can't be sufficiently corrected to acceptable level, the outcome is something too horrible to contemplate, but all I can do is stay up late nights, staring at the computer screen, wondering what terrible thing will become of me???

We were discussing on an AS board the difference between Asperger's Syndrome Special Interest and real love. Obviously, with a 37-year commitment on my part, there is no question my interest in Ray is real love, one of the few that has been entirely reciprocated! And I have to thank Ray again for that! Now, I really truly feel in the depths of my heart that this with Buster is real love but I can name times when I was almost this much into something and almost entirely dropped it with little or no provocation--meaning I wasn't being attacked by fans or self-appointed guardians as with Buster--just...things changed. And I was very concerned about this being destroyed before I could enjoy it--though it looks as if us outsiders simply have the challenge of building up our own following. We should all be indeed glad that things are not like that here!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,