Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes, Phil, and thank you for sparing me looking up Whitman's quote. I'll be collecting quotes from Ray, some contradictory, and perhaps I'll include a few of the best in the book on a page headed by Whitman's, and footed by mine--"Pick those which work best for you."

As for advice--I had to plain throw out Ray's advice on writers not going to college--the first reason given being "Some professor will try to teach you his way to write." Going to college was one of the best things I ever did. Thank God I had the opportunity and my father there to urge me to do it.

As for Ray's second reason for not going to college, "How are you going to be a writer if you never have time to write?" with that one I have struggled all my life. Very well to say while you're still in school, "I'll never have any non-writing job as all my income must come from writing--anything else is cheating," but not practical. Graduation was 25 or 30 years ago--you can't go that long without any jobs, and not all jobs can be writing-related at all much less specifically your writing, but that does not mean you have to shoot yourself if you're not on the bestseller list by a year after graduation. It's taking Buster to teach me this.

Now, what will it take not to clobber my uncle? He comes in while we're watching a Buster movie, sees the cat asleep, and says the cat has the most sense as he knows it's not worth watching! What am I to do with a creature of such obviously low character?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Now, what will it take not to clobber my uncle? He comes in while we're watching a Buster movie, sees the cat asleep, and says the cat has the most sense as he knows it's not worth watching! What am I to do with a creature of such obviously low character?

Just shake your head in wonder. What else can one do? Or tell him, "that's the man I love you're talking about!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooooh! Speaking of which, one of Buster's fans was teased at work for crushing on a dead guy. Her response, "At least I always know where he is!" Buster woulda loved that one!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday evening there was a PBS special on Lucille Ball's life story. Buster Keaton was an acquaintance of hers and quite interested in her wide range of talents. He is said to have given her this wise advice: "Take your comedy seriously!"

Miss Ball had all of the gifts and then went on to perfect them: facial expressions, body movements in grace and blunder, and flawless timing. She obviously took Mr. Keaton's advice to heart.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a second viewing of Day Dreams I have this to add. A little more footage surfaced besides the version shown on TCM, of him on the police reviewing stand. It is to be profoundly hoped someday a complete version of this little masterpiece will be assembled.

In a larger sense, this film makes a statement not just about the nature of capitalism and the American way but human nature in general. Certainly in hunter-gatherer societies, anyone unsuccessful as a hunter, gatherer, or one or two other accepted positions would end up marginalized at best, though they might possess traits which would make them successful in other societies. This works best, though, as a direct reflection of American values. Those with grandiose notions of better lives created and perpetuated America. It is all about keeping up with and surpassing the Joneses, starting in each person's own imagination, which makes this, in Bradbury's definition, a "science fiction" film--picturing the young lady's elaborate speculations, and quickly and effectively depicting their harsh clash with reality as lived by the young man.

posted Hide Post
Seems Mark Twain beat Ray to it on this:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream, discover."
~ Mark Twain

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Saturday evening there was a PBS special on Lucille Ball's life story. Buster Keaton was an acquaintance of hers and quite interested in her wide range of talents. He is said to have given her this wise advice: "Take your comedy seriously!"

Miss Ball had all of the gifts and then went on to perfect them: facial expressions, body movements in grace and blunder, and flawless timing. She obviously took Mr. Keaton's advice to heart.

Here is a tip of the hat for you!

posted Hide Post
Top Ten Reasons Why Buster Keaton is THE PERFECT MAN!

10. Most beautiful facial features. EVER.

The profile is pure Sherlock Holmes.

Nice hair, especially when worn long enough so at the sides are cute little curls you can just imagine twirling around your finger.

9. He looks totally awesome dressed to the nines and if possible even better scruffy, or even a little of both.

8. He has a diabolically ingenious mind and is hysterically funny. You'd never get bored. Very pleasant voice, and musically talented to boot.

7. He does that precious little pout thing with the big sad puppy dog eyes. (Can't find an exact image, but here is a nice picture anyway.)

He is also kind and sweet to animals and they like him. Animals are good judges of character.

6. Mechanically minded, would be handy around the house with all those gadgets, can climb anything and probably wouldn't even need a ladder. Plus, the little choo choo trains are sooooo cute! (Not so sure I'd follow him onto a boat, though.)

5. At around 5'6" he is compact and wouldn't take up much space. Also would not have to bend down to kiss you.

4. Most of his leading ladies are cute little brunettes and I'm a cute little brunette so can identify with them a lot better than leggy blondes. This makes the movies extra fun to watch, also shows his good taste.

3. He is to-die-for romantic. Those EYES, the most exquisite in the world. Language is inadequate to describe. Also, the body language--he is the all-time master of non-verbal communication. He can be very tender, gentle, and careful and turn a woman to total mush if he so desires.

2. PERFECT physical specimen able to take any amount of abuse without complaint. Here is a body that just won't quit. You'd never have to worry about damaging him or wearing him out--he keeps coming back for more.

Obviously he could do anything physically he jolly well had a mind to which causes the imagination to run amok. Nuff said!

1. He's dead, and dead guys don't talk back.

(Okay, that last one was a little mean, but all the others are true.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Hey, Dandy! When the book is completed, I'd like a signed editionSmiler

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Hey, Dandy! When the book is completed, I'd like a signed editionSmiler

Thank you for your support. Smiler

(Accidentally edited your post above instead of quoting. Been doing too much editing lately.)

posted Hide Post
Top Ten Signs You Have Fallen Hard for Buster Keaton

10. You plan a pilgrimage to Piqua, Kansas, to see the place Buster put on the map.

9. You become a card-carryin', High-Sign flashin', member of his fan club.

8. You begin obsessing about how you or your sweetheart would look in a flat hat.

7. Suspenders are suddenly sexy!

6. You develop an avid interest in vaudeville history wondering how close his family played to your town.

5. You see his name everywhere: Doorbusters, Pricebusters, Blockbuster--and become suddenly aware that for all these years, all these people have been taking his name in vain.

4. Your new personalized license plate reads DAMFINO.

3. You get a cat and name it Buster Kitten.

2. You hang a life-size Buster poster in view of your bed so it's the last thing you see each night and the first thing you see each morning.

1. You replace your ordinary TV with the largest, most state-of-the-art model your place will hold and your old VHS player with a new Blu-ray and buy the ultimate editions of all Buster's movies so you and he can get properly up close and personal.

(For myself: check on some, working on the others!)

posted Hide Post
Politically Incorrect these days, but so, so artistically right. And, hey, I have that couch. But not the tiger skin, or, alas, what's on it.

posted Hide Post
We should all chip in and get Dandy a pork pie hat for Christmas.
Has she got it bad or what?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Braling II. To tell you the truth, I had rather a discouraging day. There is some hostility over on Buster's group--not like our warm, loving, encouraging family here--and I really feel as if after two glorious months yet another genuine interest is going to be picked up and used to beat me over the head. Steeling myself for the blow, hoping it will not come. Thanks for being a friend.

So far so good. Still alive and getting some shuteye while my buddy looks out for me.

posted Hide Post
I am sitting up and taking light nourishment but observing caution. Me and my friend for now are staying in our combat gear. Perhaps there will be an armistice before Christmas.