Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:

I like it. I think I'll use it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Maggie Bradbury's favorite author! Next to Ray, of course!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the upside, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, with a main character based on Buster Keaton, won the Oscar for best short subject, Hugo, with a sequence on classic films featuring Buster, won five awards, and The Artist, a silent film made in 2011, won Best Picture!

Jean Dujardin won best actor for The Artist and thanked a Melissa in his speech who is either Buster Keaton's granddaughter (thrilling for Buster fans) or Douglas Fairbanks's granddaughter (great for Bradbury fans.)

On the downside, the bitch who dissed me in the Keaton group attended the ceremony, and if I find out she had a great time and all the right people liked her, I may still have to fling myself off a bridge. I still have bad flashbacks and if I wasn't curious to see how the December 21 thing would come out I wouldn't be that keen on hanging around.

But congratulations to the deserving winners.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the upside, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, with a main character based on Buster Keaton, won the Oscar for best short subject...

I was watching with anticipation that award and was so hoping that delightful film would win!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is partying in Keaton land! The guy who won best actor mentioned Keaton at the BAFTA awards and thanked Fairbanks's granddaughter at the Academy Awards!

posted Hide Post
Not surprising that we're all huge Keaton fans here. Interesting though.
Aha, leave it to Keaton's own dad to be the one to lend him the gun!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
On the upside, The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, with a main character based on Buster Keaton, won the Oscar for best short subject...

I was watching with anticipation that award and was so hoping that delightful film would win!

I saw the film today, and noticed this right away, but at the end I was reminded of Ray and the idea of "living forever" leaving behind a legacy of hope for all who read. Very moving story.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really sad because Buster reawakened my feelings just so people could hurt them and I don't want to feel sad and have a hard time stopping. It's hard to describe the great effect he had on me for the brief time the best of it lasted. It was like the sun coming out for one hour once every seven years and a thousand flowers blooming to fade in a day. I will always think of him with fondness. He makes me melt despite all attempts at resistance, which is scary as I am utterly at the mercy of emotions. One really great thing about him is that all his best work, even in the sound era, was silent, which is a big part of his appeal as I equate bullying with saying bad things and he's a sweetheart and a nice silent one at that. But then, I hate it when people deliberately give me the silent treatment despite all my best attempts which is the other side to the worst of the problem and thinking about that makes me sad all over and nothing can be done about it. Anyhow, I shouldn't depend on things to cheer me up and what are the chances of lightning striking twice even if you try? So I have mixed feelings about continuing to watch his work.

Ashamed to admit it took a Buster message group member to remind me it was Dean Stockwell's birthday when it was in the back of my head all day that March 5 was something and I couldn't think what, especially since February 29 was just the 20th anniversary of when I met him! Reasons I went off Dean, if I can be truly said to have done so, had little to nothing to do with anything either Dean or the fans did. For the most part, they were great. It was two things, for one my profound disappointment in myself that I couldn't make a better impression on Scott and Dean. This makes me sad to an extent that can't be described as is hard to believe. The only person I could go into this with in depth was Nard Kordell, who I miss profoundly. I try very hard and am the best me I can be and it is never anywhere nearly remotely good enough. I don't ask people to LIE OUTRIGHT, but couldn't they make a little effort to see the good in me? But if they can't, I have to take their word for it. I have a sneaking feeling if Buster were still alive he might be like, "Get away from me already." The other reason was just, Dean got so darn popular after "Quantum Leap" I just couldn't keep up with his work! I would still watch earlier work of his if it came my way and have been considering watching a few of his childhood movies again.

Anyhow, I went to his Internet Movie Database page to wish him happy birthday and found this awesome quote. "I hate to admit it, but you can't do a role unless it's somewhere in your psyche. People don't realize how vast the subconscious is. It's like infinity." This is EXACTLY what I've been obsessing over for most of my life, and extremely so for months, to the point that it's eating me alive! My identification with Dean was not as sudden as with Buster--with Dean it took at least a number of QL episodes while with Buster about half a film and I was hooked--but it was just as profound and inexplicable. I was also in touch with fans over this. Two remained pen pals for a long time. I stopped writing my regular reviews and so on when the zine folded following the cancellation of the series, well, that's another reason I kinda went off him, no audience for my musings! And without the connection there is no communication. I suppose it's possible for me to just like something by myself but I lose heart because there seems so little point. There are online fan groups but that's nothing like the zine where you could turn in whole articles, events reports, and, well, stuff you'd be blasted right off Yahoo! groups for, on topic or not, because I know I have, it's happened about five times now. It would be great if it were just misunderstandings, but you see what happens when I try to proceed as if that's all it is. People just REALLY DON'T LIKE ME, AND DON'T WANT ME ANYWHERE AROUND ANYPLACE "important" to their interest. It's a bit unnerving. And being attacked on my own turf was insult to injury.

Anyhow, about the subconscious and infinity and all that. I wasn't "looking" for anything when I discovered Buster. I had given up and resigned myself to being miserable. Worst of all, I am at that "awkward age"--too old to be likely to succeed, and too young to die comfortably soon. (Unless the world really does end this December.) Then it was like during those brief two months a curtain blew aside and I glimpsed a whole other awesome world, or I was able to just peer above the edge of a pit and see my way out. But then the curtain blows back (which it might even without help, and this, despite my best efforts, had help) and I get shoved back into the pit. It's like a train derailing--how do you get going again once you're "off track"? And why can't I do things myself and must depend on some outside force to inspire me? And even if I do have to have such inspiration, why do people always have to wreck it and why can't I fix it? I KNOW my subconscious is that vast, it is really like infinity. It is ALL in there. I just seem to have no access. Even a genius can get off track or discouraged sometimes but if they do can find their way back. Ray Bradbury (who seems to have confronted self-doubt once and completely overcome it at age 9) was lucky to have found the perfect supportive spouse, and Buster learned what hell life could be until he did as well, but I have stopped looking and can't seem to do things alone. Also very frustrating as I feel the answer is right there and I'm missing it. So I wonder, I don't know, if I should give up on things so I won't even be reminded how hopelessly inadequate I am.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
Who was your first true love? Mine was Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows. (My one sister's was Quentin Collins and my other's was Chris Jennings so we kept it all in the family.) Jonathan brought style and class to creating this role, and he had an odd natural beauty (from some angles resembling the most beautiful man of all time, Buster Keaton--who Johnny Depp did a better job of imitating than Barnabas.) No one could hold a candle to the wonderfully talented Jonathan, not Ben Cross, who thought much of himself and little of the role, to the point of holding it in contempt--a fatal quality for any actor, particularly the lead--not what's his name from 2004, and not Johnny Depp, who does the voice all right but comes off looking like a pathetic goth clown. You can't mess with perfection! Thank God for the original series, now coming out in a set!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Who was your first true love?

Deanna.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Unlike me, you don't seem to have started at age 6, but better late than never, and good luck!

posted Hide Post
Buster Haiku

Passion Returning
Trampled flower cautiously
Waits for foot to fall.

Cori

posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike me, you don't seem to have started at age 6, but better late than never, and good luck!

I'm talkin' true!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, in my case I should have said serious attraction as I haven't experienced true love, but still you remember the rare ones able to evoke such emotions.

posted Hide Post
Is true love possible after puberty?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post