Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    lifelong influence
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lifelong influence
 Login/Join

posted
My husband and I were watching the movie version of Something Wicked This Way Comes last night and I had a revelation: Ray Bradbury has had massive influence in my life, more than I've ever realised! I first read a Ray Bradbury story in 5th grade and I have to admit it scarred me forever (it was All Summer In A Day). I remember very distinctly throwing my book down and bursting into tears. It was the first time literature had moved me to crying. 25 years and dozens of tales later, I almost feel like Ray Bradbury is my own Uncle Einar - a spooky yet benevolent force in my life, also a very comforting one. No other single writer's work has ever touched me the way Mr. Bradbury's has. His work is utterly unique, and I treasure it. I don't know if you read these message boards, Mr. Bradbury, but if you do, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful stories!

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dust*witch,

Welcome Aboard,

It's amazing to realize "The Bradbury Effect".

And then to find there are others similarily affected.

I've thought of him almost everyday for the last 25 years. Next to my mom he's probably the biggest influence in my life.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Bradbury Effect"--What a cool concept, grasstains, and oh so true for almost everbody on this board. I like the sound of it!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I'd like to take credit for it, I can't. "The Bradbury Effect" was a really neat thread we had going a year or so ago.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury had the same effect on me. I read F451 in 9th grade and it blew me away. It literally changed my life. His influence on me is felt every single day. I'm a different person becuase of his influence in my life.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wonder what I'd be like if I had done a book report on THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE instead of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES.

posted Hide Post
A pacifist?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started my 7th grade book report on THE RED BADGE, but couldn't take it anymore after about halfway thru so I had to find something else in a hurry. I just stumbled upon SOMETHING WICKED.

posted Hide Post
Good stumble, huh?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post, dust*witch. I found the movie to be much better than is generally thought by the so-called critics. "Wicked" and "Dandelion Wine" were both highly influential for me. (it helps if one's middle name is Doug).

Posts: 2 | Location: Horsham, PA USA | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having just concluded another school year, my distance sf class was especially rewarding with students in front of me and at two outside districts. On their final essays I posed a "Q" that was somewhat open ended: Of the authors we have read this semester, which had the greatest effect on you so that you would like to read more of his/her works on your own?
(Authors studied included Shelley, Wells, Verne, Poe, Clarke, D'Engle, Stevenson, Keyes, Mr. B, Huxley, Serling (episodes), and others.)

Mr. Bradbury received the overwhelming nod. Stevenson and Clarke capped the top three. The comments by these 16-18 yr. olds were enlightening, as we often find from the many we get here by younger posters. So, maybe some sparks for that "lifelong influence" have been fanned just a bit!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-22-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm reading AGAINST THE FALL OF NIGHT by Arthur C. Clarke. WOW! I haven't enjoyed myself quite this much while reading a book in a long time. It's a real page-turner, with adventure, mystery, and beautiful prose. This is my favorite book I've read by Clarke so far. It's interesting to glimpse all the little pieces and themes of his other more famous works germinating here and there in this one. I think it was published the same year as CHILDHOOD'S END (1953), but appeared as a serial in a magazine in 1951. It was later expanded into THE CITY AND THE STARS (1956).

posted Hide Post
I'm just picking this forum and topic out of random necessity:

My comment is a question: What does everyone think of the new Bradbury website? Also I don't know if it's really been correctly tabulating the 'views lately'. Also... there doesn't seem to be much activity on the new board. It seems this old board ALWAYS had some level of activity. People getting bored of it? Too much trouble to get on line.... Also, it seems to be perpetually slow. Maybe it's me. There was something of vigor on the old Bradbury site...

The idea of placing pictures is nice... butI'm the only one that seems to be doing it...yet the old website managed to have some people place pictures on it even tho most of us were (are) in the dark on how that's done.... I'm ready to place a link on the old board and say..."Hey!! Come join some of us HERE!!!!" ha!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wondering are some people annoyed on the new board and the rest on vacation?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overworked. Have a professional exam coming up in 2 weeks, and am studying intensely.

Re the new site--must I really sit up straight and have my tie done in a proper Windsor? Don't know why, but that's how I feel there.

Here--relaxed, at ease. I cannot explain why that is, or why the difference. Don't really like that logging in stuff over there, but I do enjoy the photos very much. I'm just not in a place where I'll ever have anything to share in that regard, but if I did, I'd use that part of the new site.

And, directed toward Nard's comment about boredom, it would be great to be able to meaningfully discuss recent publications without spoiling things for those who've yet to read whatever the topic publication might be. For instance, Mr. Weller's book. There are a couple of areas that brought me to tears, but to give away any of his wonderful book is a diservice, and I will not do it. It is an incredible work, and deserves reading.

I thought about trying a topic labeled Spoiler Discussion, then the name of the book or work, but--people would still look, and I'd feel awful if a single book sale was lost because I irresponsibly blabbed something.

Thoughts or comments on good, current discussions without spilling the beans?

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post