Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    lifelong influence
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lifelong influence
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'd still like an answer to my question (from nearly a year ago!) re "The Cat's PJs".
Here's what I wrote way back then:

I just finished reading the feline quadruped's nocturnal habiliment (Cat's Pajamas!) and believe I've found a few typos:
p.107 "chance" should be "chances"
p.116 "she can" should be "can she"
p.192 "rustled" should be "rusted"
p.210 "have go" should be "have gone" or just "go"
A question I have is, in "Triangle" on the last page he writes "They let the cat die."
Did I miss something? Perhaps it's a colloquialism with which I am unfamiliar?

As for the quality of the stories, well, I can only say after reading these I feel like a man must feel who, starving, not only gets fed, but with his favourite foods perfectly prepared...
I'll read these again anon and then perhaps we can discuss some of the stories?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly an allusion to the phrase, "Cat got your tongue?" where people are uncharacteristically silent? Purely a guess. Also, in my copy, "Triangle" is not listed in the Table of Contents, but it starts on page 133.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury's new book, 'Bradbury Speaks'...is out soon. (let's hope there are few -to -none typos contianed thereof.)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just wandering through the halls and could not help but note some of the long ago favorites in the files here. It is like the scenes in the new version of The Time Machine (movie) where the holograms appear, talk, and interchange with the current visitor.

There are spirits in this old site, I say!

I hope each of you can share and enjoy a few moments of peace with friends and family this weekend. We move so quickly sometimes, we have hardly the time to purposefully walk in the leaves, taste a hot cup of coffee untimed, or savor another slice of our favorite pie, when off we go to some other task or call or place that really wasn't as important as the one we just left.

Mmmmm...is that turkey I smell roasting? Enjoy!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More gravy!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all who come by this board.

____

11/24/2005

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all fairness, almost all the posts from the old board were archived to the new one. Several hundred were lost from "Ruled Paper" before the move and several more during but we're talking what, 500-600 posts out of 20 or 30,000?

There has been a different "flavor" with the posts since the move, to be sure...but a lot of the "good old posts" can be found there!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

I still cringe and shriek with thoughts of what some of those posts may have been.

No record of?

Oh gosh. Terrible to think about.

And there...this paperless society...visions of the future gone awry when a key miss-hit deletes cargo holds full of notes and thoughts now less than vapors of cosmic cyber dust...yes, less than dust...less than cyber vacuum particles...less than that... in fact, NOTHING!!

NOTHING! Like all those 'miscellaneous' disappearances. What were they?

Never to be known.
Never known.
Never known...!!

posted Hide Post
Well, Nard, the information is not irrecoverable (still, as of now, but can't speak for the future.) It just depends on someone wanting to take the time and effort to recover it. If I could contact a "tech" and get them to do it (restore the posts lost from this board into cyberspace, and lost between this board and the new one at least up until the time of the "split,") I would, but haven't due to two factors:

1. The utter impossibility of reaching any living human being at the entity (HAL?) that powers these forums, and

2. That pointing out that this one is still around would alert THEM to its existence.

Through Googling I found a version of this thread with most or all of the original missing posts in it and posted a link to it.

I wanted some "tech" to restore them to the thread, either in or out of their original order. When there was no response after months of trying to get this done, I proposed we each follow that link and copy and paste our own missing posts in order, along with posts made by anyone who was not a regular on the board, so at least most everyone's posts would appear under their own names, and it would save one person doing all the copying and pasting in huge chunks and having tons of other people's posts appearing under one name. I was still trying to explain when I meant by this when they made the move and lost a bunch more.

I don't know whether all the lost posts were from this thread alone and tend to think not. The NUMBER could have at least been determined had someone made a count comparing this board and that board at the time. But since SEPARATE posts were added to BOTH boards at a high rate of speed immediately following, it would take a human computer to calculate it now.

I understand there's some way to archive the contents of an entire website and store it, say, on a floppy disk. I really should learn how to do that and save BOTH these boards in case anything else goes bye-bye, intentionally or otherwise.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Message to Nard (and anyone else who cares. Does anyone?)

I got good news and bad news.

The good news is I FINALLY filled out a Support Ticket at Groupee, the entity responsible for the new board. As you know, it threw fits every time I tried this in my usual browser, but I did it using another browser.

Someone there is willing to work with me.

The bad news is that to actually replace missing posts, they may have to go through HarperCollins, and they may want to charge HarperCollins for doing so.

The good news is that if a tech at HarperCollins can be contacted and made to understand that someone is interested in this and talking about charging money for it, it may give them incentive to do it themselves!

CROSS YOUR FINGERS! HERE GOES!

posted Hide Post
dandelion: You can DO IT!!!!

posted Hide Post
Thanks; I need all the votes of confidence I can get.

posted Hide Post
Hey, it's been too quiet over here!
How's your musical going?
What role do you have?
Our concert (first of 3) opens tonight!

posted Hide Post
The musical is going great! We have received two or three unsolicited testimonials from out of town audience members. One drove an hour just to see it, another had crossed the state to visit a friend, so neither was related to anyone in the production. The one from across the state had considerable theatrical experience and had been watching "Sound of Music" productions since before many people were born. Both had raves on every aspect of the production from the orchestra to the performers to the costumes.

My roles are:
One of the nuns (only speaking role nuns have names but I call myself "Sister Katherine" because I look so much like her in the movie)
Percussion (on large productions we have a drummer and I provide other percussion; on this one I am all percussion)
Sound Effects (any not done from the booth)
I've also been doing some photography as official scrapbook keeper.

posted Hide Post
dandelion:

Somehow perhaps you can post some pictures you have taken ...in the 'miscellaneous' of the 'regular' Bradbury website. Unless, you know how to post a photo here as well...