Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Summer And Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer And Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You should never shout through a screen door - you could strain your voice!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, you just caused me to do a veritable James Finlayson of a double-take... it took a few seconds for me to get the joke.

Reminds me of the moustached man who always found soup a bit of a strain.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BII and Phil: Ok, I can see right through what you are both up to in this exchange.

...and this,
"A series of rifle shots. Screen doors banged one after the other, a sunset volley, along the street." (DW, conclusion of John Huff's departure)

We always had a screen door on the back porch during the summer months. When fall arrived, the screened section could be removed and a glass replacement set in to guard against autumn wind and then winter snow. I remember later, due to errant baseballs or snowballs, the necessity of my father having to go to the new-fangled plexiglas. It repelled rather that shattered.

Also, those summer screen doors did bang closed, as Mr. B writes, like "rifle shots."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finlayson did a great double take fade-away, which Cary Grant was good at—just the fade-away I mean. He’d do the take (not a double take, just the take) then do the fade-away.

PS: Finlayson knocked himself out doing it once and I think it was a screen door he backed his head up into.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody did a double-take like the great Don Knotts!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the way David Caruso removes his sunglasses.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Nobody did a double-take like the great Don Knotts!

Except the UK's Peter Glaze. Who also pioneered "d'oh" long before Homer Simpson!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought James Finlayson (from Laurel and Hardy fame) originated d'oh! in the 1930's ?

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm a dope! I should have read the other posts and not just the last one. D'OAH!!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first things my dad got rid of when we moved in 1969 were the wooden screen doors and the claw-footed bathtub. The bathroom sink standing on a pipe had to go when it collapsed on me and my sisters! I was familiar with wooden screen doors for a few years after that. They're starting to reappear on some older, restored houses, but probably with modern "quiet" hinges.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post