Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Can someone answer a question for me?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone answer a question for me?
 Login/Join

posted
I am doing a research paper on Ray Bradbury. I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable website or any source where I can find a topic on "What inspired Ray to write Fahrenheit 451." I would really appreciate it. I have looked in my school's library and cannot find a book or good website. Thank you!

Ashley

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It actually started out as a much shorter story inspired by the actions of a police officer that Ray witnessed. It turned into a short story called "The fireman" and then evolved into the classic. Do a search,(I suggest Google)and if you hear the full story that sounds similar to what I have said, it is accurate.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 11 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury talks about how he came up with the idea and how it was expanded on the Farenhiet 451 DVD.

Posts: 38 | Location: wilmington, DE, USA | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! They've actually released that piece of cr*p 1960's movie on DVD?

IT SHOULD BE BURNED.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unfortunately, I didn't know how bad it was when I bought it. Still, there were good special features pretaining to the book rather than the movie, so it was worth the $9.99. The Ray Bradbury interview is about 20 minutes long, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 38 | Location: wilmington, DE, USA | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While the movie was very european and, in my mind, pretty danged slow, I didn't think it was a piece of cr*p. If it has a 20-minute interview with Ray, that alone adds value to the DVD over my VHS version. I liked Clarisse in it and thought some of the imagery had merit. I'd love to see a really good one done, though.

Also, I thought I read in an interview with Ray that the story "The Pedestrian" was one of the root sources to F451.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-11-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
William F. Nolan's book "Science Fiction Origins" contains the original story and probably some material on its genesis.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the help. I will look for the DVD in my public library.

Ashley

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury told me back in the '70s that he liked the Truffaut movie. I like it if only for the incredible Bernard Herrmann music.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 12-13-2004).]

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post