Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Inspiration for lyrics
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspiration for lyrics
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know if this is shunned upon on this forum, but I guess the moderators could just remove it if so. Anyways, upon reading and scrutinizing the Illustrated Man, I wrote a new song that seems to be inspired by Bradbury; it wasn't really a conscious thing. Technology permeates this piece and seems to question it... Hmmmm... I'll let others draw conclusions so if your interested here's what I got out of reading Bradbury:

What is failure, but a straw
Protruding from my neck?
For months I have struggled
To catch a single breath.
Do you know of the kind of pressure
That is put upon my head?
Ants from different colonies
Gathering to feast on electric pink.

In the cold of my chest, six solar days,
Penguins kill seals and seals eat whales.
Once the fire is out the creepers will stir;
Taunting my eyes with transparent wires.

Numbers will haunt you!
Numbers haunt me!Numbers will haunt you!
Numbers haunt me!
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
I know I do

When I was young my mother told me
To advert my stare from the sun,
But its golden grandeur seized thee novelty
Until all brightness dissolved,
Darkness enveloping me.

Now, what is a face...
In eternal darkness?
What is anything...
A voice and an echo whom fail to reconcile?
So look to the walls,
To burrow in and store,
Because when the timing is impeccable
electric drills to soothe my aching head.

Numbers will haunt you!
Numbers haunt me!
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
I know I do

Hope someone gets something out of that piece..now, off to play Final Fantasy 12.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's shunned. You aren't supposed to post more than 13 lines at a time. But, I'll leave it.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
You aren't supposed to post more than 13 lines at a time.

I didn't know that! Guess I didn't read the rules too well. I think I have a few posts to apologise for.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess you two didn't like it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atroposmar:
I guess you two didn't like it.

Now don't go saying that - I thought it was brilliant!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Now don't go saying that - I thought it was brilliant!

hmmm... I hope that wasn't sarcastic because that would be very disheartening. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
You're too suspicious. Really, I thought it was good.

Wish I could write.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks... sorry for the suspicion but without body language it is very difficult to interpret the intention of a written comment. Anyways, glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure your just being modest due to the fact that majority of the users here are professors so I'm going to generalize you. Is it normally this passive here? I'm surprised there isn't a section for original works here for users.

posted Hide Post
Usually it's pretty passive. Except when I use ruled paper to write about religion - then it can get very active!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
icic... the users here seem pretty religious somewhat complementary to me and my athetist ways, but I believe in freedom of religion when it isn't preached. So... are you a professor?

posted Hide Post
Great poem, AND the 13-line rule applies ONLY to poetry and fiction--not regular posts. It was just adopted to allow for people to post samples of their work without going overboard.

"This tradition goes into effect at noon."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... are you a professor?

No, I once thought about persuing acadaemia, but earned a bachelor's in theology primarily out of interest in the subject. I'm a Celtic/Merovingian/Druidic Christopagan at heart and have a great interest in pre-Roman Christianity in the British Isles, particularly before 325.

I believe very much in freedom of religion too - if the insurgent Sunni Muslims in the Middle East were more passive, we would have a lot less war! But too many people mean to convert you to their way, or else!

I think if left alone, most people would eventually find the Christ on their own. Different paths to the same Godforce, you know.

My athiest friend, although I am very spiritual, I think no less of you for your beliefs. To your own self be true, and sooner or later you'll find the path.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well i guess I shouldn't say I'm an athiest for I do have beliefs, but beliefs revolving around my own self... I guess you can say I'm an Existentialist, but to each your own. I don't think less of anyone based on religious beliefs or anything in that matter. So what do you do with your bachelor in theology. I'm not really sure what theologist does, but I'm going to assume that it may be pertaining to religion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So what do you do with your bachelor in theology. I'm not really sure what theologist does, but I'm going to assume that it may be pertaining to religion.

Basically, I hang it on the wall! The fun (and the reward) was in earning it.

Theology means the study of God. The term theologia is used in Classical Greek literature, with the meaning "discourse on the gods or cosmology".

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It must make a nice decoration; an expensive one at that.. So, if you have a degree in theology, but assumingly pursued a career that didn't require it than what benefits came from carrying out and receiving the award. Well, at least it gives you a lot material that can be alluded to or utilized in furthering your writing if you do write. Anyways, I hope whatever path you choose was the right one. Now, off to bed...

PS- Merry Christmas Doug Spaulding, and everyone else.