Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Magister, My Teacher

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Magister, My Teacher
 Login/Join

posted
I read Mr. Bradbury for the first time when I was 13, "Farenheit 451". I've always been grateful for that day, for that was the beginning of my acquaintance with the works of this man whom I've long called "The Magister". As most of you will know, a "magister" is a term from the early Middle Ages, and referred to a man gifted in the sciences, in writing, and the alchemical mysteries. I have long felt that Mr. Bradbury was my personal magister; my teacher, my coach in the arts, my visionary, and my friend. He opened my eyes to the Universe, and he showed me what joys and beauties were there to gather close to my heart to keep, and the darknesses that could descend that must be fought. He taught me to settle for nothing but the best work I can do, that it is good to be awed by the beautiful, to require and love books and lifelong learning, and to always, always think for myself. He said to me, never give in to the tyranny of ignorance; indeed, to fight it to the death if need be. He gave me the basis for my life and how best to live it. He was the best friend I've ever had, though I never had the honor to meet him. Though I wept when I learned he has passed on, and am still weeping, he is and shall always be, for me, my beloved and revered Magister, my teacher, the greatest of all dream-weavers, the spinner of all magicks and mysteries, assuredly kissed by a star at the moment of his birth....one of the greatest gifts to the world that has ever been among us. I read yesterday how someone said that Mr. Bradbury no doubt decided to head out and catch a ride on Venus, for a front-row seat as Venus traverses the Sun. That made me smile. This sounds so very much like what he would do, and I have no doubt his beautiful Marguerite was at his side...and now they will never be separated again. And I can only say that the stars and suns and comets, nebulae and planets and entire galaxies are now greeting them both in joy! Dearest Magister, now you will indeed live forever! I send my love.

Artist, photographer, poet and songwriter, multimedia sculptor, jewelry and clothing designer and fabricator, voracious reader, lifelong fan of Mr. Bradbury.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 09 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very moving piece. I smiled when I heard Ray had caught a ride to Venus, too.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 21 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post