Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray's watch and cat

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's watch and cat
 Login/Join

posted
Two things I've always wondered about Ray's famous photo:

What is the make/model of his watch, and what is the name of the cat featured in this photo?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon, the cat's name is Tigger. As for the model/make of Ray's watch, someone else will have to answer that one!

Posts: 2437 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groom, I did a little research on the Internet. It appears that the watch Ray is wearing in this photo is a Seiko Digital LCD watch, which was popular back in the 1970's and 1980's. There were several models over time, and I am not sure of the model number. If any other folks have any better information, I hope they will post it.

posted Hide Post
Tigger? Good to know!
I'll keep looking for the Seiko model. I am thinking about making a smartwatch app in Ray's honor.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, looks like I might have found it...

https://www.fratellowatches.co...oice-note-m516-4009/

Apparently it was called the "voice note" having a feature of voice memo recording. It looks like this app just got way more involved....

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the first draft of the smartwatch app going. It still needs some tweaking. It turns out that I can't record or play sounds through the watch. So far I have the time, date, and daily step count. I plan on adding day of the week as well as a battery indicator. The font for the time is currently the correct scale for the watch face, however I may cheat it a little larger for ease of reading on the pebble screen.

ImageRayWatch_v1.jpg (126 Kb, 11 downloads) Bradbury smartwatch

posted Hide Post
groom, a "Bradbury watch"? It looks great! You may start a fashion trend here!

posted Hide Post
Speaking of Ray's cats, the link below will take you to the wonderful File770 site and a photo sent to that site by Ray's dear friend John King Tarpinian (this site's own jkt), showing a photo of Ray and his devoted cat Hallie:

https://file770.com/cats-sleep-on-sff-ray-bradbury/