Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Ray Bradbury Award

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ray Bradbury Award
 Login/Join

posted
SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America) have just published the list of Nebula Award nominations for works published in 2010. This includes the RAY BRADBURY AWARD, which I understand is given in recognition of outstanding WRITING for film or television. (Usually assumed to be an award for "the best film", but technically its for the best-WRITTEN film or TV piece.)

Here are the nominees for the Bradbury:

Despicable Me, Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud (directors), Ken Daurio & Cinco Paul (screenplay), Sergio Pablos (story) (Illumination Entertainment)

Doctor Who: ‘‘Vincent and the Doctor’’, Richard Curtis (writer), Jonny Campbell (director)

How to Train Your Dragon, Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders (directors), William Davies, Dean DeBlois, & Chris Sanders (screenplay) (DreamWorks Animation)

Inception, Christopher Nolan (director), Christopher Nolan (screenplay) (Warner)

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Edgar Wright (director), Michael Bacall & Edgar Wright (screenplay) (Universal)

Toy Story 3, Lee Unkrich (director), Michael Arndt (screenplay), John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, & Lee Unkrich (story) (Pixar/Disney)

I haven't seen all of these, but I have seen some, and know OF the rest. I hope the Dr Who episode DOESN'T win - I have nothing against Who, but that episode written by Richard Curtis was a substandard piece of work in my opinion.

If I had to place a bet, I'd go for TOY STORY 3.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go for TOY STORY 3 (the best one of the wonderful lot!) or DESPICABLE ME, which was better than I expected it to be, and turned out to be one of the funnest films of the year. INCEPTION was one of the most boring films I've ever seen.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree that Inception was a bore. Toy Story 3 I saw but it's a childrens film, as are some of the others. Scott Pilgrim I haven't yet seen. I try not to have a bias against childrens films but I would prefer awards for writing to go to adult films. Maybe that's just a personal thing.

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”

Posts: 18 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 19 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martian (Ruth S. Hare):
Toy Story 3 I saw but it's a childrens film, as are some of the others.

Not at all! It's a good film. That's all.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post