Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Visioneers Who Will Never Explode

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visioneers Who Will Never Explode
 Login/Join

posted
Hmm...I'm seeing a tremendous amount of similarites between the 2008 film "Visioneers" and the Fahrenheit 451 we all know and love.

Maybe there's a connection? Inspiration perhaps? Your thoughts?

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen it, but from the synopses and reviews I've read it sounds more BRAVE NEW WORLD than FAHRENHEIT 451 - and therein may lie the root of any similarity to F451, since Ray was influenced by Huxley.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, thank you, Phil. I see that now.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching Visioneers right now and was thinking of the similarities to F451. Then, when doing a search I came across this post.

While there are similarities to Brave New World they stop early in the movie when it is seen the workers are so miserable. There is no world wide happiness or complacency. One could say it mirrors John's feelings throughout the book, but it seems the whole society feels this way.

451, however, is pulsing throughout the movie. It's some time in the future, the society is superficial and plastic. The protagonist is unhappy and dreaming and deals with many of the same emotions, fears, and hopes that Montag does. He is unhappily married to a distant and vague wife whose happiness comes from the television (she even desires/loves the characters on TV much more than her real family). Try as he might our protagonist can not be happy or complacent in the life he's living. There's a sense of our protagonist being on the cusp of exploding (what happens to people who can't handle the denial of feelings they must suppress) similar to Montag in part two of the book.

Clarisse/Faber could be the brother in the back yard. Faber can also be seen in the girl from level four. Beatty could be the life coach.

This movie deals with many of the same themes and emotions that arise in Fahrenheit 451. And that might be all the connection there needs to be. Visioneers' comparison to 451 goes beyond burning books and censorship which is nice in a time where it seems that's all the book is known for.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post