Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    I posted a story under Organized Confusions "Somehow..." and

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I posted a story under Organized Confusions "Somehow..." and
 Login/Join

posted
Nobody said anything. Loud quite?

*#*#*#*#*#*#* BrainSparks

Posts: 50 | Location: Greenville, Illinois America | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a whole lotta readin.

I've got to be really interested in something to put these old eyeballs through the strain of internet reading and, quite frankly, reading your story hardly merits that kind of self abuse.

Out of a sense of duty, I did read it. Good job. A touch of Sturgeon and shades of Bradbury.

I know we can honor our old traditions while creating new ones at the same time. There IS room on this board for your stories and don't be discouraged from posting more of them. But, don't expect us throw a parade for you either.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just re-read my previous post and it seems quite mean-spirited. I'm sorry, I didn't really intend it that way. I was just trying to let you know some of the possible reasons why nobody responded and also trying to encourage others into accepting this "New Deal".

You see, we rarely have people post stories and ask for, or expect, a response. We're not used to it. It's different and perhaps outside of our comfort zone.

I'm all for it.

Let's just remember whose sandbox it is we're playing in. A story inspired by Ray Bradbury SHOULD be posted here, naturally. It's a wonderful way to honor the man. But, the reason we gather here is to discuss Ray Bradbury, so don't expect too much of a response.

I hope I did a better job explaining things.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 02-24-2005).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's OK. Thanks for reading it. Your opinion means everything to me. I took no offense. I hope it wasn't that bad. It's based on a night that really happened to my mother when she was alive. I just like to write and it's a way of sharing some of me, with some of you. I really hope to make some friends here. I already like Nard and Bi-Plane. You seem to be a nice person too. Dandelion is great also. Thanks again, David

Posts: 50 | Location: Greenville, Illinois America | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to write. I have four novels in my head, but putting them to paper just ain't happening.

What I need is a Plagiarists Search Engine.
I could do a search on "iced tea/hot day" and BAM! I'd see how Twain, Hemmingway, or Bradbury described drinking iced tea on a hot day. Then search for "walked off porch".

posted Hide Post
BrainSparks:

I enjoyed the story but didn't understand why the fellow who helped the poor woman in the snow had to die just to be with his wife when he seemed to be so healthy, or least so much so as to help the lady home to her son. Why couldn't she have given him more time or until he "met his due course on earth?"

It was a nice touch that he wanted the lady and her son to look after his dog.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I just killed him off in a sudden way like death has been to me in my life. No warning, bang! Gone. Maybe he ate to many eggs and his colesterol did him in. LOL.
David

posted Hide Post
I once read a story by Theodore Sturgeon where a girl in her dying breath asks her boyfriend to make sure her dog is taken care of. He says "Ya sure, I promise I'll take good care of him." and her last words are "No you won't." After about a week he takes the dog to the pound. I think the title of the story is THE GIRL WHO KNEW WHAT THEY MEANT.