Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Thoughts on Ray Bradbury's books.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Ray Bradbury's books.
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Ray Bradbury enthuiasts,
I'm doing this assignment for my english class, we've read 2 writings; The Pedestrian & Fahrenheit 451. I have to state how I felt about them, and in my opinion, I would have had to enjoy reading in general to have a deep opinion. However, reading the novel Fahrenheit 451 has showed me that alot of people have different opinions on how they think technology will effect us in the future. When Mr. Bradbury wrote the book we didn't have BlueTooth, which is another form of the earpiece he had one of his characters use. How interesting? Its almost as if he had seen the future, scary and yet so real. Has anyone ever thought about how weird that is, writing about some future technology advances, then so many years later we really do have that type of technology?

signed- this girl.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xxsumaxx:
Dear Ray Bradbury enthuiasts,
I'm doing this assignment for my english class, we've read 2 writings; The Pedestrian & Fahrenheit 451. I have to state how I felt about them, and in my opinion, I would have had to enjoy reading in general to have a deep opinion. However, reading the novel Fahrenheit 451 has showed me that alot of people have different opinions on how they think technology will effect us in the future. When Mr. Bradbury wrote the book we didn't have BlueTooth, which is another form of the earpiece he had one of his characters use. How interesting? Its almost as if he had seen the future, scary and yet so real. Has anyone ever thought about how weird that is, writing about some future technology advances, then so many years later we really do have that type of technology?

signed- this girl.

"I don't want to predict the future. I want to prevent it!
~ Ray Bradbury

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi xxsumaxx, and welcome. I wonder if you could persuade your teachers to also post to this message board. I quite like it when we get lots of new visitors here because they're studying Bradbury or reading him for the first time. But I want to know what the teachers want you to get out of the experience.

Next time your in class, tell them they should post, too. (Tell them philnic sent you!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Pedestrian" or F451 need a thorough discussion and display of "other things" Bradbury. His writing is really more meaningful than say Steinbeck, London, or even Hemingway. All of these great American authors changed literature with their style and themes. However, Bradbury delved into our culture,technology, psyches, dreams, and feelings.

For some of our recent English class visitors, try one of these and see if you don't come away moved:
"The Leave-Taking," "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh'" "Rocketman," (which inspired song by Elton John and David Bowie), "The Great Wide World Over There," "The Sound of Summer Running," "The Jar," "The Lake," "Screaming Lady,""The Emissary," ...to name just a view of his, what 500!, published short stories!? (Ask your librarian to help you.)

Want to watch an enjoyable, funny, and entertaining family movie about friendship and honesty? Try: The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit!

There are fears, tears, thrills, chills, love, wonder, images, and messages in each of these RB stories. They DO take a bit of time to get a feel for, style-wise. *Sit down, unplug, put your feet up - comfortably, and focus on the story's plot line and characters. Magic!!! I promise...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously? London, Hemingway, and Steinbeck???? Sorry, but those authors didn't have the same writing style, and offer much more meaning in their writings than Mr. Bradbury. How many books by these Authors have you read? I adore Jack London's writing, White Fang, and The Call of the Wild? They are fantastic books that have much more meaning then Bradbury's works. Comparing Bradbury to Hemingway, THE Ernest Hemingway is like comparing a college level surrealist with a world famous impressionist. He just doesn't have as good a style.
I GO HARD.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read all of these authors extensively, as well as having taught them. My point is, as realistic writers (stylistically), they did not reach out into the myriad of regions Mr. Bradbury has in his writing career (since the 1940's!!).

I have been inspired by Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Travels with Charley (which they now say he fictionalized much of!?), not to mention, of course, Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath (tedious at points). Hemingway's short stories in Snows of Kilimanjaro are some of his best writings. The old Man and the Sea I have read countless times and always find myself "right there!" during each encounter. As for London, he was one of the first authors I as a youth read until I fell asleep. What better metamorphosis is there than that of Buck into the wolf, as the story concluded. "It certainly was cold, he thought!" What a wonderful understatement from "To Build a Fire." Never assume you know more than you really do, the main character learns too late: "You were right, Old Hoss. You were right!" The only words actually spoken in the story - with no one to hear his comment, because his final mistake proved fatal!

RB wrote plays, poems, science fiction (F451 - he says is the only sf he did), fantasy, social comments, and fictional narrations based on his real life experiences (The Irish Tales! Try "The Banshee" or others from Green Shadows, White Whale - based on his scene play work for the original movie Moby Dick).

I can credit countless authors who have influenced my appreciation for literature. Some tremendously, others somewhat. Mr. Bradbury, I would say, has had the greatest influence. I am sure you, too, will find a writer, musician, artist, or performer who will do the same - in the long run - for you. That is what makes life interesting; we are all different but influenced in similar ways! Right!?

I guess since this is an RB, some leanings to his works would be expected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, I read that and can't help but to admit, in many ways you swayed my opinion. However, I can't say he is the best of the previousauthors. I respect your opinion though, and agee whole-heartedly on your comment about Jack London, I read Call of the Wild as a young child, and i to this day love that book. Mr. Bradbury may claim that Farenheit was his only sci-fi work, but has he not many times been sighted as a highly respected, and revered author in other works? I will respect what he says, but there is no arguing, he wrote more sci-fi then just Farenheit. I mean this with the utmost respect.
I GO HARD

Posts: 13 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to the site and doing this as a English assignment my thought's on Ray Bradbury's book Fahrenheit 451 was, alittle suprising. How could you predict the future plus try to prevent that from happening? I wish that the book gave alittle more detail about how he thought the future and now that it's actually here we do have the piece's he mention in the book F451. How would you know what's happening and what's actually going to happen? what made you think about a earpiece and how did you know that it was gonna be a apart of the future generation?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@DougSpaulding, You cannot prevent the future from happening.
@philnic, my teacher is monitoring what we post and the replies we get. However, yes I will tell her you would like to know what she plans on us, students, gaining from the experience. I think it's for us to understand what other people gained from reading about him, and like I mentioned in my first post, reading Fahrenheit 451 has showed me that alot of people have different opinions about how the technology we have changed the people population. Also, how his writings make us think about how crime will go down, and we resort to using only one cop, who isn't even a person (from Pedestrian.)I just found it sorta weird Mr.Bradbury writing about future technolgy advances we really didnt have, then so many years laters we really do have them.
@fjp451, I'm not much on reading, but thanks for the recommendation(s.)
@weedeater917, I also have read White Fang in Jr High, I do not have a passion for reading like you guys do, but thanks for all for your opinions & thoughts!
@schoolkid, I agree with you.

signed- this girl.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
@DougSpaulding, You cannot prevent the future from happening.

I fear you miss the point.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
@philnic, my teacher is monitoring what we post and the replies we get.

Really, seriously? Has your teacher noticed the number of times I had to delete personal insults directed at each other and at me, the fact that I already had to lock a thread which has never happened in over ten years as moderator here, and the tone of the remarks allowed to let stand? Please have her contact me!

Dandelion

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My students are completing this project for an English assignment. Please bear with them as they are teenagers who are learning about Bradbury and his works. For some of my students, this is the first time they have participated in a message forum. They are learning what is appropriate and what is inappropriate in a professional message forum. We do not condone insults or rude comments in my class or in this message forum. The students have specific criteria on which they are graded. With that being said, it would be beneficial to my students if those who are more seasoned in Bradbury would lend their knowledge to these young people so they may enhance their current understaning of this author. I do apologize on behalf of my class for any inappropriate remarks made on this forum. While I am not making excuses for my students, I do ask your patience with them as this is a learning experience that encompasses more than Ray Bradbury. They are learning how to write, communicate, and formulate their thoughts in an articulate manner. We check this message forum each day in my class. My students have thoroughly enjoyed being part of this forum.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W917 ~ RE: Although he is often described as a science fiction writer, Bradbury does not box himself into a particular narrative categorization:

"First of all, I don't write science fiction. I've only done one science fiction book and that's Fahrenheit 451, based on reality. Science fiction is a depiction of the real. Fantasy is a depiction of the unreal. So Martian Chronicles is not science fiction, it's fantasy. It couldn't happen, you see? That's the reason it's going to be around a long time—because it's a Greek myth, and myths have staying power." -RB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thinker123:
My students are completing this project for an English assignment...

Thanks, Thinker123, for telling us about your students' work. I hope you have noticed now how many of us regulars (myself, dandelion, fjp451, Doug Spaulding and others) are engaging in the discussion with your students. There are some interesting ideas and observations emerging.

To be honest, this message board NEEDS more discussion of Bradbury's work, so the flood of new voices in the last few days is most welcome.

It is, of course, the TONE of some of the messages that has caused upset, so it's good to hear that the proper (n)etiquette is also something you teach.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well back to the topic of Ray Bradbury's books, I have also only read Fahrenheit 451 and the Pedestrian written by him that were assigned to me in my english class. These books I found very interesting and having a great meaning behind it, although the genre of the book seemed to confuse me at times. To me Ray Bradbury seems to be a great author and I would like to explore more into his work. Would any of you have any recommendations for me? Maybe something that stays away from the setting found in Fahrenheit 451 and The Pedestrian?

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post