Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ambient Tunes?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambient Tunes?
 Login/Join

posted
Out of sheer curiosity, do you listen to music when reading Bradbury (or any author, for that matter)?

If so, what is included in your Bradbury repertoire?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Inkling,

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for me, the thing, that goes VERY well with Bradbury is the album "Time" (1981) by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra). Don't know why, but I always recall his books when listening to it.

And after that goes Pink Floyd.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no music while reading anything. It interrupts the words.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even instrumental?

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been a musician all my life (started singing before I was a year old), I have a big problem with the very concept of "background" music. There's a huge difference, you know, between listening (a conscious effort) and hearing (what ears do). I believe in listening to music, especially if it's live.
When I read, I prefer silence so I can enter into the book more completely. I must confess, however, that I do always have some tune running round my brain - reading or not!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rare air.
No one home.
No time schedule to scurry off somewhere else.
That book awaited patiently.
A favorite most-comfortable chair.
Maybe lounged back, just right.
Hot coffee or cold drink at arm's length.

Now to the first page or bookmarked chapter.
Only sounds of the out-of-doors sneaking in.
Then, sshflick, sshflick, sshflick... the sound of the pages turned.

To be taken away by the written word is as being taken away by meaningful music.

(Just finishing F451 with DL/SF class: We compare the subway people and that cacophony to the Book People with their literature deep in the forest!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, then, no tunes while reading.

What about writing?

posted Hide Post
No! That's even worse! Writing is marching to the tune of a different drummer! Imagine trying to play the percussion part to one piece while someone is playing a COMPLETELY different piece of music and you'll get the idea what it is like to write with music (or even most types of talking!) in the background.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often listen to music when I read/write. I find it helps me settle into what I'm doing and then when I've gotten "into" it, the music seems to vanish. For me, it's a bit like watching a foreign film -- at some point, I forget that I'm reading subtitles. In primitive cultures, when the shaman would try to enter a trance to perform a spell or seek a spirit helper, a drummer would plan music to help the shaman focus on the task at hand. This exteranal "music" played a similar role to what is often played for me by background music -- it sooths and settles the soul while I transition into full concentration on my task. Then it graciously fades away and I don't even notice when the music has stopped.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't get properly lost in a book when music is playing. Spouse plays this New Age stuff constantly that sounds like wind blowing thru a cave and rustling leaves. I've gotten to the point where I hardly notice it, but I do prefer no music or television while I'm reading. I do really like spouse's CD.

===========================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, such New Agey fare or white noise would be good to block out more intrusive things such as radio, TV, or music with words or a strong beat.

posted Hide Post
Words, properly assembled, make their own music. Why diminish that by listening to something else? That's just me, though.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ravenswake,

You have such a way with words and I enjoy every message of yours. POST MORE!

============================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appear to stand in the minority on this one.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, actually I listen to music when I read all the time. If I don't then all my concentration is thrown to the ticking clock or cicada chirping.

"I gave you hope that became a disappointment...this is an alright start" - Sigur Ros

Posts: 6 | Location: Missouri, U.S. | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post