Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    What do you think about Ray?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think about Ray?
 Login/Join

posted
I personally feel that Ray Bradbury’s books are confusing to understand while reading. One of his books that I read was Fahrenheit 451, in my English class. While reading the book I never completely understood everything that was happening. I must say I did find it interesting by the way he talked about the future and how parts of it are becoming true in today's world. Other than that I do not prefer to read any more of Ray Bradbury's books. With that being said i do not mean to upset anyone, I was just letting you know my thoughts and opinions about Ray Bradbury and what I thought of his books.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flower03,

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury is a deity to me, above Shakespeare and secondary only to God Almighty. What else do you want to know?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury talks about things that I don't think a lot of people would think about. Although his books are rather confusing at times, they portray thoughts about our future that are slowly coming true. His books are conusing to read, but they make you think deeper into them unlike most books. The Pedestrian I did understand though. I completely agree with what he was trying to say. Technology is slowly isolating us. He shows that in the future we may not need people to do different jobs, that technology will slowly start taking the jobs that people do everyday.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zb56 Now Im not one to say if a book is good or bad but I thought they werent to bad for the most part. At first when my English assignment I was kinda mad because I heard he was a boring author from the students in the past. But after reading the book and watching the movie I think that they must`ve read a differnt book because I thought they were pretty good, and I dont like to many books but Farenheit 451 was a good book! I just loved how he predicted the future and it is slowly coming true. There are so many things you can learn from books and people dont even know what they are missing. His books changed me and if I would`nt have read them I would`nt be the person I am today!

I just wanted to let you all know how Ray Bradbury has changed my life. As soon as I read his book I knew that I was forever changed, and like I would never be the same. I just wanted to say I love you Ray and that your the best author ever and dandelion wished she loved you as much as I do. He has encouraged me to read and save books from being burned so I plan on buying all your books and reading them and memorzing them so when books become illegal. Ill share your lovley stories with the public and Ill find hiding spots that they will never find and everyone will love you as much as I do!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 6 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His books morely show how we are progressing into relying more on technology for things. This was shown in his short story "The Pedestrian." Fahrenheit 451 on the other hand showed how books are important for us to read. (Well, that is how I took it.) Others may see other meanings in his books.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy's Prodigy and Zb....nice comments and keep on reading.

OK, now a Homework Assignment! Get your librarian to search for a copy of Jerry Weist's publication on Mr. Bradbury's life. Skimming through this text will set your imagination on a real treasure hunt for more Bradbury gems. You will enjoy endless adventures for years to come! Search well...

RE:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com...062_af159099d1_o.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Remember this, Love is at the center of you life..." - RAY BRADBURY

Please view, dear new students and lovers of life...
A Conversation with RAY BRADBURY by Lawrence Bridges

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linnl, YES~YES~YES!

Let us know "youthful readers" if you have viewed Linnl's posted video. Then be sure to check the library. Your librarian will appreciate your interest! Then, see and feel and hear the pages turn in Mr. Weist's beautiful work about Ray Bradbury. It reflects what is in this marvelous video - word for word, image for image.

Love is at the center of Ray Bradbury's works and life!

You'll see!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to see so many new appreciators of Ray and hope to hear much from them in the future.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's good to see the reactions of those who are discovering Bradbury for the first time.

At the risk of being repetitive, I would emphasise to all new readers (especially those who ONLY know FAHRENHEIT 451 or "The Pedestrian") that Bradbury has an enormous range.

His books are NOT all about the dehumanising effects of technology, although some are. His books are NOT all set in the future, although some are.

If you didn't "get" F451, try something in a different vain. Get THE OCTOBER COUNTRY!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off,I would like to say that this is my first experience with writing on a message board. I am doing this as part of an assignment for my english class.After having read both Fahrenheit 451 and The Pedestrian,I find Ray Bradbury to be a very confusing author.I just never fully understood what was going on in either story I read. I have to agree with flower03,that I would not perfer to read any more of Bradbury's books,if given the chance. No offense to any Ray Bradbury fans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: limegreen,

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Ray Bradbury is a good author.I liked the book Fahrenheit 451. At first, I didn't think I would.It started off slow, but after finishing the book and discussing it in class I actually took a lot from it. I think that the story is saying that we should think for ourselves and not do things just because other people are doing them. He predicted that technology will become some advanced that we won't really need to interact with other people. After reading the book I can actually see that happening in today's society. I read The Pedestrian not long after Farenheit 451. I didn't like it. I didn't see the point in writing it.From my understanding many of the ideas expressed in both stories were the same.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am impressed with how ray predicts the future. In fahrenheit 451, the accounts of the large t.v.'s and how everyone is persuaded by technology, is a lot like the modern world. I think that technology extremely influences our decisions we make. It is unbelievable how decades ago this author had a crystal clear picture of the future. That is the aspect of mr.bradbury's work that I most admire.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woodman I respect your opinion on how Ray predicted some things, but I dont believe that technology will become as controlling and obsessed over like in The Pedestrian and Faehrenheit 451. Bradbury is an author who although interests me, is not as enthralling to read as otherwell respected and well known authors.

Dandelion, I think that you may obsess over Mr. Bradbury a little too much. He is a good author. Thats as far as my opinion goes. I wouldnt compare him to Shakespeare, or Dickens, but he is good. He can right science fiction, but he doesnt add enough details about the character for me. I want to feel as if I grew up with the character, really know them, by the end of the book. For me, Bradbury focuses too much on his hidden message, or theme. This takes away from alot of things and dissapoints me. He also doesn't addd very much humor, which even in his darkest works Shakespeare added a comic releief.

(Note: weedeater, that's real cute. dandelion.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 13 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely agree with flower03, Ray Bradbury's writing can be very confusing the first time reading and many people have a hard time grasping his style in writing. This applied to me when reading Bradbury's book Fahrenheit 451. After reading this book I was rather confused of what exactly happened, but after reviewing and studying further into Fahrenheit 451 I came to the sense that Ray Bradbury's writing is very good and somewhat inspiring. As stated from many recent users before, Ray does a great job in predicting how the future would turn out and what technology in the future would have in store for us. Overall, I enjoyed reading Ray Bradbury's book, but I still remain unsure if I would continue with reading his work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hellofriends,

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post