Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    What's the big fuss?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the big fuss?
 Login/Join

posted
I just read in an article that Ray Bradbury was extremely irrate over the fact that Michael Moore's title for his new movie is called Farenheit 9/11. What in the hell is Ray Bradbury's problem?? I saw on another topic in this forum that some people where discussing how ridiculous it was that the phrase something wicked this way comes was used in the harry potter movies (a phrase that wasnt even created by Ray Bradbury originally)....i find this to be a rather idiotic and all it does is give people stupid reasons to trash michael moore and his very refreshing movies...

on a side note i love ray bradbury's writing and that is why i am even asking.....is this what he is really like (bickering over the rights to the use of certain ways of phrasing things?) ?

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 06-20-2004).]

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "something wicked" thread was not us complaining about a line being "ripped off" but actually us marveling about the appeal of the line, and speculating as to how and why it ended up in the Harry Potter movie.

As for Ray and Mike Moore, wouldn't you be upset if you told somebody that you didn't appreciate them parodying your title and they did it anyway to spite you, then publicly claimed that they were doing it to honor you?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thormachine:

No, no, thormachine. You see, you got it all wrong. It's ..."What's YOUR problem?"

Just had lunch with Moore? Or you one of those independent angry young men, who finds the world against them?

Knock the mud off your boots before stepping here. Your diatribe is offensive.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with Ray last night about this entire matter. Apparently, he is now getting all sorts of calls from all sorts of ill-behaved journalists regarding his comments about Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11." Ray maintains this has nothing to do with Moore's politics. This is a title that is near and dear to Ray's heart. He came up with it in the summer of 1953. The least Moore could have done, according to Ray, was call him and ask if he minded the homage. Making matters worse, Ray personally called Moore and the director never called him back.

Ray's words: "Had he just asked, I might have given him my blessing."

Given copyright laws, it's not that Moore needs permission, but if he used the title as some sort of homage or tribute to the spirit of the original book, the least he could have done is politely informed Ray by returning his phone call.

Posts: 48 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he didn't know it was Ray himself?

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offense, translator, but you really give Moore a ton of room. This has been in the media for a long time. Can your prejudices be any more transparent?

Thormachine. Love your name, but your juvenile rant was more offensive to me than any of the efforts to defend Bradbury's concerns about Moore's abuse of his title.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-09-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can yours? I'm not ready to condemn the man to the firing squad for something that may have been a simple omission. I've agreed somwhere else that what Moore did might have been tactless. Anything above that is focusing on something that is as irrelevant as last year's snow. As Bradbury said himself, (paraphrase) "I want to talk about elephants, and they're concerned with ants" (I saw this somewhere, and worded differently).

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this doesn't help clear things up, I can't explain: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001047.html

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Weller, your post on the discussion you had supports my remarks earlier. Thanks. Mr. Bradbury "deserved" a response. Though, I must admit, I did enjoy the comments RB made and which have been published in numerous articles in reference to MM.

This great author has delved into and chronicled the psychology of individuals (real and fanatstic) for 60+ years. This would give him somewhat of an inside angle on interpreting personalities, one would think!

So, to call Moore out on this matter should be understandable. Mr. Bradbury clearly deserved this personal courtesy and some respect. (Oh, I forgot about MM's behavior at the academies. Decorum seems not a part of his tendencie$.)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-10-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After having read some recent comments by Bradbury re: F911 I feel that its a little more than Ray being upset over the use of his title. All in all I'm very disappointed with Ray's hysterics. How ironic that he actually supports the very people who would make a reality of those events so chillingly described in "Farenheit 451". I'm deeply saddened and very ashamed of Mr. Bradbury's stance on this issue. I'd like to dismiss his comments as being due to senility but unfortunately it just doesn't appear to be the case. How truly, truly sad.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe the ageism manifest on this site by those falsely attacking Bradbury. We used to respect age, but the majority of posters here deride and make false claims about Bradbury's positions and then site his age as problematic. He's always been pretty blunt, but he's always been fair and honest to his views. This is just another form of discrimination, and I find it digusting.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury is neither senile, nor does his objection to misuse of his title either defend terrorism or support any abuses which may have been committed in the war against it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey thanks for editing my post dandelion....I actually didnt want to say what i typed out on my computer and you just picked up on that nicely and changed my words around for me!! What a great moderator you guys have here at the ray bradbury forum!!

I would hate to make the cobwebs of your minds blow in the proverbial winds here.....but i dont measure people by what they have created.....i measure them by their actions.....Ray Bradbury's age is neither a defense nor an excuse for the hissy fit he had about Michael Moore's title....The fact that Bradbury says it has nothing to do with his politcs is also rather suspect in my opinion...

if you have a problem with something i say....feel free to share your opinion instead of censoring me......

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........

Posts: 70 | Location: US | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hissy fit is by Moore fans. Moore himself seems to have been reasonably civil about this aspect of it. His fans (disciples?) are over the wall. Bradbury has answered a few questions directed to him by the media. This is hardly a hissy fit.

posted Hide Post
Thormachine,

Dandelion IS a great moderator. You weren't censored: we all know where you stand so what brilliant thoughts of yours do you think were left out? We have an informal rule around here to keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it kind. Sometimes posters push the edge. Sometimes posters go over it. I have complete faith in Dandelion's judgement.

A quick read through the various threads will tell you that many opinions are expressed - and debated - here. But if you're worried about being censored, go start your own site. It's free at bloggerspot.com. Then you can sputter away unfettered.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post