Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Forry Ackerman's 90th Birthday party
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forry Ackerman's 90th Birthday party
 Login/Join

posted
I had the opportunity to attend the 90th birthday celebration for Forrest J. Ackerman in Los Angeles on Saturday, November 18. Forry was Ray bradbury's first agent and they have been friends most of their lives. The event was well attended by people who have known 4E or been helped by 4E in their careers, and most were people in the Business, writers, movie makers and others who appreciate the history of science fiction, both in print and on film.

There were several movie props in evidence: Frankie-stein the monster by Karloff, the Alien in full size repulsion, and a great werewolf, who people used as a backdrop for photos. I got a copy of the anniversary edition of Famous Monsters of Filmland, specially printed for the occasion, and Forry signed it for me, as he did for nearly everyone there. I also took along my copy of the video from 1990, wherein he took the viewer on a tour of the original Ackermansion and his fabulous collection of memorabilia, and he signed that as well.

I asked him to say "Gustav Von Seyffertitz" one more time. For those not in the "know", say "Na Bu Dah" three times and then go the link below and purchase a copy of the just released color version of "SHE" done by Ray Harryhausen and Legend Films and all will be revealed to you.

http://www.amazon.com/She-Helen-Gahagan/dp/B000HLDFN6/s...087108?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I took away a copy of the DVD, "The Sci-Fi Boys", done by Paul Davids, which was showing on screens all around the room at the event. This is a marvelous complilation of interviews and film snipits, with many people who have been influenced by 4E in their carerrs, people such as: Peter Jackson, Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury, Rodger Corman, John Landis and many others. each telling how 4E influenced them personnaly.

I had a great time and was glad to see how many people paid their respects to Forry for his illustrious and rather unique contribution to Hollywood history. The man has a coffin in his living room and never fails to say to those who have the priviledge of visiting him, "Always room for One More!"

As Ray would say, "Live Forever"

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask: Intended to attend, but unable to because of a last minute family event. So THANKS! ...for all the info. But, what? No photos?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely Doug Spaulding will be along with some in a few minutes...?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's hope so!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry - here now. I've been running around like the proverbial chicken since last Thursday! Ten hours in the lab working with Final Cut Pro on my short little edit of the documentary I'm in the midst of on 4E. Showed it at the Bash - all eight-and-one-half minutes of it. Am trying to get around to posting it on the "YouTube", so you all may see it - will let you know!

I was also running around doing interviews, making contacts, etc, etc, so I didn't really get to enjoy the essence of the party as I would have liked, but I wouldn't take a dollar and a quarter for it nonetheless!

That werewolf prop, by the way, was the werewolf from John Landis' "An American Werewolf in London", my favourite wolfman picture (Forry was in "The Howling", the other lycanthrope film from 1981. Joe Dante was there, as well).

As soon as I get a copy of the photos from my photographer, I'll post an album. She popped round last evening and I didn't even think to ask.

I was somewhat surprised but delighted indeed to see that Ray Bradbury showed up! I really didn't expect him with that book signing he had at noon. He arrived about two hours late but he arrived! Visited with him for a bit as he was trying to shove a roast beast sandwich into his mouth. He was graciously signing anything thrust at him (Josh, your "Homecomings" are on their way!), roast beast notwithstanding.

I told him "look at the screen - there's the video we shot at your house three months ago." He looked. After a half hour or so, he said, "I've got to go home; I've been at a book signing all day!". "I know", I said. "I know!", he repeated. What a delightful soul.

My good friend and horror icon Reggie Bannister and his charming wife were to attend but when I called them from the party to say "what's up?", they said something came up. So, Monday (after making a short stop in Hollywood to drop off a copy of the short edit to Forry, who was enjoying a mid-morning sweet roll [with a box of powdered donuts at his feet - how does he do it!?] ), we headed up the mountain to Crestline to visit the Regman, who was a most gracious host.

All in all, it was a busy weekend. But fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Doug. Who needs photos when we have such a vivid description!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Thanks, Doug. Who needs photos when we have such a vivid description!

You are so kind to say my writing is vivid. That means an awful lot to a young wannabe writer!

Thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<usernameOWNED>
posted
SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Edited because it was.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Beavis is soooo lonely without Butthead.

===============================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<usernameOWNED>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Beavis is soooo lonely without Butthead.

===============================================

Yeah I know i fricking miss him, were like brothers ok?

posted Hide Post
And what did I say about proper punctuation and writing. This clown needs to re-enter kidergarten and start from scratch in regard to his writing [if it can be called that!].

It really isn't that hard to compose a sentence properly, just a little forethought and discipline.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Writing" and "language" are terms used very loosely in this instance.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<usernameOWNED>
posted
these are just forums, there is no real need for proper punctuation and stuff like that, I can do that stuff but I don't take the time when I just post a simple stetement.

posted Hide Post
Dear usernameOWNED, have you taken a good look in the mirror lately to see what a weird and twisted individual that you are? Spelling, punctuation, hah!, you neither know how to spell correctly or to put positive thoughts down on paper, or in this case, on this board.

Do us all a big favor and take a hike.