Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Inspired, indeed!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspired, indeed!
 Login/Join

posted
Mog the Dog here, taking a moment to contemplate the countless times in the past three years that Ray Bradbury stories have literally come to life and played out in the most fascinating ways in the life of my favorite human companion, and in the coming-to-life, have helped her navigate through a series of harrowing challenges (including a brush with death at the hands of her own life's version of Mr. Dark).

Amidst the most recent challenge of recovering from a 3+ pint blood loss, my favorite human companion has found the healing power in Ray's stories-now-come-to-life once more. Yesterday I posted about the fate of the behemoth pumpkins I grew for Halloween this year, and lo and behold, Bradbury's "The Inpired Chicken Motel" came to life right in front of our eyes! Truly inspiring! Check it out and see if you agree:

http://www.petfinder.com/forum...ewtopic.php?t=184587

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...Check it out and see if you agree...

I checked it out, and I agree.

Good to have you back, Mog. I hope your favourite human companion is doing well. Three pints is a lot of blood.

(Typing that reminds me of a classic British comedy starring Tony Hancock as a blood donor. When told that he will need to donate a pint of blood, he replies: "A pint? A pint? That's very nearly an armful!")

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's exciting in a really bad way and I'm glad your human is recovering well.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and lo and behold, Bradbury's "The Inpired Chicken Motel" came to life right in front of our eyes!

Funny you should mention - that's the very story I read to my favourite writer on a recent visit! He had requested it the visit before, so I was a-prepared.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A-prepared is not as good a word as a-flapping.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
A-prepared is not as good a word as a-flapping.

I was a-stretching.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
...and lo and behold, Bradbury's "The Inpired Chicken Motel" came to life right in front of our eyes!

Funny you should mention - that's the very story I read to my favourite writer on a recent visit! He had requested it the visit before, so I was a-prepared.

How neat! Please tell your favourite writer that there have been recent inspired chicken sightings in both Bozeman, MT, and just 42.82 miles south-southwest of Allendale, CA.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
[QUOTE]
Good to have you back, Mog. I hope your favourite human companion is doing well. Three pints is a lot of blood.

Thanks for the well wishes! She has recovered nicely and is ready for the next real live Ray Bradbury story adventure!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, by the way, the recent hemorrhage was due to illness, not to her harrowing encounter with "Mr. Dark", which took place over two years ago.

OK, I'll agree that both of those crises were really bad, but getting to see dozens of Ray Bradbury stories come to life like that and help her navigate safely back to the shore of the living was nothing shy of pure magic, six ways from Sunday!

In fact, I think the idea of Ray's stories coming alive could be the basis of a really neat Twilight Zone episode. Imagine what you would do if Bradbury's stories started happening for real in your own life, and then when you tried to tell people about it, many of them started treating you like Margot in "All Summer in a Day"? How would such a weird tale play out?

I think that when the main character enters such a Twilight Zone, he/she would start to unravel like so many of Bradbury's characters did when they realized their impending fates - you know, characters like "The Pedestrian".

Oh, and when the main character picks up a copy of The Complete Poems of Ray Bradbury and reads "I Die, So Dies the World", that's when the fun really begins. What kind of Bradburyesque way will this person come up with to keep Bradbury alive and trapped in his current age for precisely 43 years? That would be the exact amount of time it would take for the main character (who was born on August 22, 1963) to sync up in age with Bradbury, so they could walk in tandem into the next iteration of their existences.

Is this indeed the makings of a good Twilight Zone episode, or is it simply the result of way too many red blood cells being set free to find their own way in the world?

Heh...heh...heh...

MTD

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh, by the way, the recent hemorrhage was due to illness, not to her harrowing encounter with "Mr. Dark", which took place over two years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up and recognizing that I feared that! I was busy a-concocting all sorts of gory scenarios!

quote:
In fact, I think the idea of Ray's stories coming alive could be the basis of a really neat Twilight Zone episode.

Is this indeed the makings of a good Twilight Zone episode, or is it simply the result of way too many red blood cells being set free to find their own way in the world?

Heh...heh...heh...

MTD

This needs more development than a half-hour TZ might allow. It needs an hour TZ or, better yet, to be a full short story in the next Bradbury tribute volume.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This needs more development than a half-hour TZ might allow. It needs an hour TZ or, better yet, to be a full short story in the next Bradbury tribute volume.

Indeed! On closer examination, this tale has darn near outgrown its itself as a short story, and the growing of it continues still...

After my favorite human companion fetched me forth from my own version of the inspired chicken motel, she began combing her fingers through what is left of my faux fur to remove the streaks of decomposing Halloween that had anointed the better part of my brindle and had transformed Bradbury's autograph upon my back into an impressionistic blur of what it had once been.

She then drew me close to her face and discovered the flame-smell of pumpkin, but more importantly, that the design of her entire life was hid in my pelt - she merely had to put her hand out, and it was all there...

No, not even a little toy brindle dog can lie still for keeps. Nobody can do it! This emissaryhas places to go and more stories yet to fetch...

Woof!

MTD

posted Hide Post
Live forever, Mogster!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Live forever, Mogster!

That's the plan!

By the way, the chickens are inspired, still! One of the oldest of the old hens managed to leach enough calcium off her tired old bones to offer comfort and solace to my favorite human companion as her body goes about its work replacing all of that lost blood:

The poor old henopausal bird sculpted the most intriguing network of strong, healthy blood vessels, captured in one eternal pulse upon the entire surface of her egg. It must have been her own unique way of saying, "Rest in Peace. Menopause is near."

(It also must have hurt a bit coming out!)

MTD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MogtheDog,

posted Hide Post
"Henopausal" is a good word.