Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    How Mr. Bradbury made me into a reader.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Mr. Bradbury made me into a reader.
 Login/Join

posted
I used to be like most of the kids at my high school right now- disrespectful, loudmouthed, and anti-reading. Then, I read F451. My english teacher reccomended it to me, the book looked interesting enough. I only read the book because my english teacher is one of my older brothers friends and I strived to make him proud of me.
I finished the book 2 days later, my favorite part was the coda. The one thing that this genius taught me through his words was that reading is a privilage that may not be around very long, and to ignore that gift, that prize, that present from my fellow race was the stupidest thing I could think of.
Now, I am one of the biggest readers in my grade. Every day I enter the library during lunch and look amongst the peices of art that many have strived to make well. The librarians all know me by name ( not meaning to brag but I have read and checked out more books then anyone else in the school, and currently hold the record... 89 books in one semester!). I often wonder around, trying to get the most diversty in my choice- Some fiction, Some history books, Some poetry, and some Bradbury.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi TrevorSmith, and welcome. Yours is a great story, and similar to what we hear from many people who first encounter Bradbury in the classroom.

I'm sure you've heard that Bradbury says he grew up in the library, graduated from it (rather than graduating from college). So you're in good company!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi to all my story is very much like TrevorSmith and buy reading the Books of Mr. Bradbury i was completely changed. thanks to him and his books

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 1 | Location: 201 W Burbank BLVD, Burbank, CA 91505 | Registered: 08 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except you became a NZ spammer. dandelion, can you do some more pruning of these posts by little miss spamalot?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in school (never mind how long ago).
I survived on Bradbury and Heinlein when it came to reading (everything of there's and I mean just about everything). If my hometown library had it...I read it.
I would borrow my mom's library card because I was to young for an adult card and you could find me in the adult science fiction section every saturday(without fail). Reading is still one of the favorite things that I do (however, don't confuse reading a good book and have that book at your finger tips on a shelf at home verse's the Kindle electronic stuff, which I absolutely hate).

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TrevorSmith: My story is similar. A total non-reader (except Mad Magazine and Marvel Comics) in 9th grade, a friend "forced" me to read F451. I finally read it, and then borrowed Martian Chronicles and read it. I returned it, then went to the book store and bought every Ray Bradbury book on the shelf (in those days that was quite a few). Bradbury introduced me to science fiction, literature, philosophy, theology, etc., etc.. I now hold two MA degrees, have delivered multiple academic papers, and am currently working on a law degree. Not too shabby for a non-reader; and I became a reader through Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading books is my hobby .I have read many books by Ray Bradbury like The Martian Chronicles , Dandelion wine etc.But my most favorite one is Farenite451.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 1 | Location: 1250 Pine St Ste 102, Walnut Creek, CA 94596 | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F451 was required at my school. Some of the best writers in my class didn't understand it. There are too many words, too many descriptions, it's all too confusing.

I've tried giving my sister Bradbury books to read. She has trouble with English, and I thought I could make her a reader.

I learned that some people aren't meant for Bradbury.

Posts: 6 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alison (the real one--and you know which that is--) that is too bad. I was only a little dismayed by kids who'd come on here clearly having not read the assignment and asking what it was about. The ones which really alarmed me were those complaining "I read every word of this book and didn't understand any of it." To me there is something wrong with their comprehension--not the book. But maybe Ray is an acquired taste not for everyone.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course, the problem lies with their comprehension. The book was wonderful. I have to think about everything I read with Bradbury, so it takes me a while to finish. It's very philisophical, I think.

Posts: 6 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaching F451 takes a clear understanding of history, literary techniques, an appreciation of the countless allusions throughout the plot, Mr. B's motivations, and, of course a purposeful approach to the plot.

I loved teaching F451 to my HS students! We all got "fired" up and always sent a special message to the author when the unit was concluded.

"It was a pleasure to read!"
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Abjs...ahrenheit+451--4.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post