Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Kaleidescope

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kaleidescope
 Login/Join

posted
I was inspired as a kid by Ray Bradbury's story Kaleidescope in his Illustrated Man anthology.
The idea of an astronaut, distraught over the lack of meaning in his life, having his life end by being ejected by accident from his spacecraft and then falling into Earth's atmosphere as a fiery meteorite, and then having a child on the Earth "wish upon a falling star", just struck me as so inspiring.

It is reaffirming to know that we have meaning even when it seems life doesn't amount to a hill of beans sometimes. Life matters even in the simplest of ways. We do matter to people after all.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt compelled to create an account on this board and post my response. Kaleidoscope has always been a favorite story of mine. The strange hopelessness of the situation and the wonderful imagery have always stuck with me, long after having read the story.

I became a Bradfury fan ages before I was even aware of who he was, due to my fondness for old science fiction radio plays. There are plenty of Ray's fantastic stories that were adapted wonderfully for a program called X Minus 1, Kaleidoscope being one of the better ones (Actually, come to think of it Kaleidoscope was a part of Dimension X, which later became X Minus 1, but that's beside the point). I remember listening to the Veldt when I was twelve or thirteen and falling in love with the art of the radio play. There's always something to be said for imagination Smiler

If you're curious

http://www.fluctu8.com/podcast...scope-7467-4776.html

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, spalmeri and jutberg, and welcome!

Kaleidoscope is one of RB's best stories, and lends itself well to dramatisation - in fact, he has written a version of it for stage, and there have been several radio adaptations. Parts of it have been borrowed by others...I seem to recall there's a part of the film DARK STAR that has a scene slightly similar to Kaleidoscope.

And, of course, life imitated art a few years ago when a space shuttle burned up on re-entry, creating fiery shooting stars just like in Kaleidoscope.

PS: spalmeri and jutberg, please head over to the "Where are y'all from" thread and tell us where y'all are from!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jutberg:
...I became a Bradfury fan...

Bradfury is a good word Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine cries at the end of that story every time.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
A friend of mine cries at the end of that story every time.

Just wait'll you see Crazy Heart. Their hearts were empty but their eyes were full.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A "kaleidoscope" of fantastic real images! Simply relax and enjoy our always amazing world!
f

http://imgur.com/a/YAPNn

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried this remixing experiment with Kaleidoscope, by taking a radio dramatization of the story, and cut it down a bit to better match the short story, then added media of films to visually tell the story. It was kind of a fun little experiement on one of my favorite shorts.

Let me know what you guys think!

Kaleidoscope Remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CwZvCypsjI

Posts: 2 | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"So long!" is such a chillingly final comment to hear toward the end of this captivating independent visual rendition set to the wonderful classic narration of Mr. Bradbury's thought provoking story. It seems quite appropriate that the remix jumps from b&W to color, and that so many old s-f movies were collaged to assemble the presentation.

I found myself hearing Mr. B's voice telling the story at about eight minutes in. I guess because bidding that approaching farewell was something I knew was going to culminate the exchanges of the characters. And that his own "So Long!", if not audible, is still quite felt.

Yet, Ray Bradbury's always hopeful outlook shines in the closing moment: "Make a wish!"

Thanks, JF!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post