Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    i was inspired...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

i was inspired...
 Login/Join

posted
i have only read one of mr. bradbury's stories. it is called "all summer in a day". when i finished, i nearly cried. margot had seemed so real. i was inspired to illustrate it. i make a simple pencil sketch of margot, slapped a sun on it and wrote "margot" on it really fancy. later, i added "celebrate the sun" to the bottom in really fancy shmancy writing too. once i get my picture posted on the web. i'll give you the link to it.
INSPIRED

do not be afraid

Posts: 3 | Location: cheeseland, wi | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reading farenheit 451 and I just cant put it down I love it so much! (ps im new)

What Would Bradbury Do?

Posts: 5 | Location: OB NJ | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read F451 in 9th grade. It absolutely turned me on to ideas and to reading. That spark led to Masters degrees in English and Philosophy. An amazing book. An amazing writer. An amazing person. May he have good health for many years!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's pretty cool, dark.

do not be afraid

Posts: 3 | Location: cheeseland, wi | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got my art on the web! See it at:
http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/cafecat/margot.html

do not be afraid

posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451, saved my soul from an uncultured and vacuumed existence. I was the kind of guy that , by when I was 12, wouldn�t give a damn about books or any thing that may give me some reason to think, so, in a certain way I was keeping my brain in a jar, safe, taking not the risk of evolving It into a more thoughtful tool. A good friend of mine decided to enrich my world by providing me with a copy of this tome. The story scare me to death, because, in a way, I felt that this obscure and sinister future was just around the corner. As the story went along, I started to empathise with Montag more and more. The fact was that It got me so scare by when I finished reading I was not able to stop, I wanted more books. Other authors came to me as rain drops that fall to a dry ground to help It regain It�s wonder.

Now I�m a writer myself and I couldn�t have done It without my friends, the one who gave me the book, Fahrenheit 451 itself, Montag, and , obviously, Ray.

Posts: 1 | Location: Monterrey,Nuevoleon,Mexico | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was inspired the second time I read Fahrenheit. I have to admit--the first time i read it, last year in 9th grade, i hated it. I dont even remember finishing it, i probebly read most of it on sparknotes because i couldnt get into it, and i was convinced it was science fiction. Science fiction didnt sit well with me in the first place.
However this year, i was blessed to have an absolutely amazing english teacher. I cant understand how i read the whole book in 9th grade and it didnt affect me, because it COMPLETELY changed the way i think. completely. Ill go so far as to say that it saved me from becoming another bleach-blond twig-thin member of the teenage population. My teacher caused us to really get into the book...he provoked us and got under our skin. I understand that Bradbury can do that on his own, but I just wasnt ready for it as a freshman. I appreciate the little things more--dew on the grass in the morning, for example. And the book just became a part of me, where after reading it I only wanted to re-read. Now its to the point where i open it up to any page and immediatly have the whole scene conjured up in my head. This is my first post, and i'm hoping to get to know you all and see what else Bradbury has to offer

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
two by four, don't stop with FAHRENHEIT 451. Ray has written so many brilliant novels and stories, it's impossible to recommend just one book, and Ray's works should all be in your local library or book store. Try SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, DANDELION WINE, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, THE OCTOBER COUNTRY...and I've only just scratched the surface. Read and enjoy the discovery of one of the finest of all writers.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Want to see my artwork online? Go to www.libertytheater.org and check out the Photo Gallery. Almost all the pictures are mine!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 57 and a successful aerospace engineer at the Johnson Space Center. But when I turned five, I became a polio survivor. Just barely surviving. From that point on to this day, I would live in a series of wheelchairs.
My childhood was empty and friendless, until I discovered Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and their friends. They gave me hope and pointed the way.
Science fiction became my passion. And then Science did, for those SF books inspired me to read everything I could find on rockets, space and the stars.
Now I work for NASA, helping to chart the paths of deep space probes to the planets. I have a wonderful life I wouldn't trade with anyone.
Thank you, Ray. From the bottom of my heart.
Nelson Thompson

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very cool, indeed.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs to take some time to enjoy Dandy's photographic expressions. Really nice work that captures the spirit of your hometown!

I was brought back to the years of my earliest youth. We had a family store on the town's public square. Businesses were all family affairs. Everyone knew one another. We had four theaters: the Strand, Olympic, Avon, and also -the oldest- the Liberty! Then (later 60's)urban renewal came in and those far-sighted politician hired the man that ran the huge crane with its steel wrecking ball.

When the modern cinema complexes were put up by the out of town investors, they ultimately lasted about 5-6 years! Then boarded up and "For Sale" signs on every exterior wall.

Fortunately after college my fates allowed me to settle in a small town, minutes from the mountains, lakes, and mighty rivers of far NNY. Though RB so often flavors his tales with dark ironies, I believe he was inspired not only by the great authors (so many!), but equally by kids with grass stained knees, paths worn between neighborhoods, the occasion raid of a plum or apple tree, and - as Dandelion's photos tell - the American community focused on making things (somehow) a little better for all involved.

Compliments, D!!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

So, what else do you do at the theater? The photos really capture the hometown spirit of the place!

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pyrotex:

I checked out your bio at AuthorsDen. You were discovering Jules Verne et.al. the year I was born. You followed the dream - God bless you for that, and for commenting here at Bradbury's site. The man has toched a lot of lives and, from what I've read here, many of us were reached at around the same age, when dreams were possible.

I wonder how he'll work out with future generations. Pretty well, I expect - the feeling is timeless. And Bradbury makes it accessible to the young teen, while keeping it real for seasoned citizens like us.

Thanks for the note, Pyro, and thank you Mr. Bradbury.

Can't wait to try Bradbury out on my two kids!

Posts: 3 | Location: The Berkshires, Massachusetts | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Japanese, I read many Ray's works in Japanese.
I inspired many books translated into Japanese, and I will try to read Farenheit 451 original version with my dictionary.
When I read this for the first time, I was feared our future and knew importance of reading books. F451 changed my way of thinking and my life.
I am happy to meet Ray's works.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tokyo,Japan | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post