Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hi i am new! And i got questions! Skip the intro if it bores you
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi i am new! And i got questions! Skip the intro if it bores you
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Corny, Butch? Well, the world could use more Corny right now!

("What the world needs now, is Corn, sweet Corn...")

Watch "Marty" and see if you weep like I did.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marty! Will do, Sundance. Matter of fact, I had a passage in the above post about the dire straits we all seem to be facing. But (deleted) it didn't seem right to mix vinegar with the oils of life!

Yes, I agree. More slapstick, yucks, and healthy cajoling would do a whole lot of good ... no not just for some!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Great thread. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading these. I do think there are unique aspects to Bradbury's writing, and agree that his lyricism and use of metaphor are high on the list. But I also think there is a "spiritual" or "religious" element to much of his writing that resonates with a lot of readers. I see this a lot in "Martian Chronicales" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes"--to absolutely fantastic books. This aspect of his work comes up in much of his short story writing, also.

Couldn't agree more, and I'd go one further. Bradbury, for me, is one of the only authors I've ever read who can accurately portray what I think of as spirituality. That absolute joy we so rarely find in our own existence is so vividly captured in Bradbury's work that it's hard not to come away feeling lifted up. There are very few artists who make me feel that way, maybe Miho Hatori's voice or when I look at the paintings of Hopper, but not many more.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Alone, I heard the sound of the two of them laughing around a corner outside and then "padding" into the hallway.

Padding is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaitingTom:
Bradbury, for me, is one of the only authors I've ever read who can accurately portray what I think of as spirituality. That absolute joy we so rarely find in our own existence is so vividly captured in Bradbury's work that it's hard not to come away feeling lifted up.

And that's why - the ultimate knowledge within spirituality is an indescribable feeling of joy, and as RB's works are as close as you can get to perfect when dealing with humans putting pen to paper, you also experience a little bit of that incredible joy whilst reading him.

It comes down to this: the closer you get to the Godforce, the warmer you feel.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaitingTom:
...maybe Miho Hatori's voice...

Yes - I think her voice is beautiful. And I don't speak a word of Asian!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Wonder why the guitarist in the above video is wearing a SARS mask? In the studio, yet!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wonder also, Br2. Paranoia runs thick...cough, cough, ah-ah-a-chew, snfff, snffff... Oh, really sorry!

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11434126/Hygiene_Waterless_Hand_Wash.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic said, in part:

quote:
I believe also that this is why TV and film adaptations of Bradbury stories often fail to work.

Maybe...although another reason could be the consistent lack of a big budget and a hot producer/director when transferring Ray's work to the screen, either small or large.

When they did 'The Martian Chronicles' as a low-budget, made-for-TV series, for example. Just imagine what would happen if Spielberg was turned loose with Bradbury...

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi greg,
interesting reading your comments and other's replies to them, i'm not a book writer myself, though i written alot of songs/lyrics and i'm now a painter, but love ray brad's work and what i'd say you, if you don't mind is , you souldn't try and copy your favarite writer, even though it's tempting. but try and be yourself , develop your own style, read loads of dif books and writers and as your only young go and experience a lot of life. the best writers are ones that take chances, and from what i've heard from ray's lectures(you can find some of these's on google video search brower, just key in ray bradbury,) is it takes a long time to find your own style,some times years,as a song writer i found i had to write everyday,and found for every good song/idea i had to write and work through lots of poor or average songs, but the important thing is to keep writting and don't give up ! anyway good luck and enjoy what you do, at your age you have a head start, and don't expect it to just happen cheers........... dave

Posts: 67 | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post