Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    YOUTUBE of Bradbury at Library
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YOUTUBE of Bradbury at Library
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Do you like THAT we say it, or do you like THE WAY we say it? (Don't you say it? OR is it that you don't like the way you say it?)

We lot would say "I'll be watching the DVD this weekend." I rather fancy the British way. Why? Because I'm an Anglophile I should imagine.

quote:
I could have said "I'll be watching the DVD in a fortnight". How would that be?

Better yet!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, all is now clear. Thanks for the explanation!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time to re-post the G.B.Shaw quote:
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language"!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...So there you'll catch me sitting next to a young blond, both of us trying to look surprised. Without stop motion on our DVDs we'd be history in less than 3 seconds in that scene....

Nard, I finally got round to watching The Small Assassin, and I spotted you in both scenes. (Didn't need to hit the pause button, as I was already watching out for you.)

I quite like the film. It certainly looks very good for such a low budget film. My only quibble is that the shot of the dead mother isn't very good - if the viewer doesn't know the story, they may not realise that she has fallen down the stairs. There is also some unevenness with the sound quality.

When I get the time, I'll be doing a full review for my site.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to say, re-watching the library video, that the intro of Ray by the librarian in that YouTube video is a classic along with Ray's response.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video was greatly entertaining and a pleasure to hear Ray speaking. Yes, the intro was comical. What an ingenious time we live in. This all was unthinkable just a couple decades ago.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Time to re-post the G.B.Shaw quote:
"England and America are two countries separated by a common language"!

Right - England would be an ideal place for Americans to migrate to if not for the language barrier!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But we've been making it easier for you by renaming our confectionery. Our beloved "Marathon" became "Snickers", for example. But we're holding out with Smarties (see other thread for details...)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ah, but a "Mars" bar here is not a "Mars" bar there!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whaaaa?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
These guys are quite serious about this Mars/Milky Way controversy that threatens to undermine our cultures.

http://totl.net/VisibleMars/

posted Hide Post
It's worse than we thought: two nations divided by a common confectionery!

Let's see, what else do you have over there? Kit-Kat? Toblerone? Milky Bar? Please tell me THEY are the same across the pond.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil:

Kit-Kat, yes!
Toblerone, yes!
Milky Bar? NO!

But we have the MILKY WAY Kosher Restaurant...
owned and operated by Steven Spielberg's mother.
I've been there several times. She often greets you at the door, sits you down. Otherwise, she always comes up to your table, and if she doesn't recognize you, she'll give you the once over to see what you're made of. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/71339/Los-Angeles/Beverly-Hills/Milky-Way.html

And as to the candy bar: https://www.candydirect.com/html/cleanimages/candybars/milkywaymidnight.jpg

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Sounds to me as if I need to bring you my copy of this book to read:
Candy Freak, A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America by Steve Almond

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageCandyFreak.jpg (46 Kb, 6 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, as Nard says, we do have may of the same imported chocs (e.g. Toblerone, Terry's, Lindt.)
As for Cadbury's, the good news is that many of the Cadbury chocs are availble here in most stores. The bad news is they're now made (license agreement) in Hershey Pennsylvania, so they're not as good; the British dairy products being far superior.
I can taste the difference!.
(You may just make out the "made by Hershey" on this label in the attached.)
Besides, I don't think they've figured out how to make Flakes here yet.
Mrs. Braling & I will occasionally go to an import shop for Quality Street, Flakes, etc.

Imagecadbury-caramello.gif (57 Kb, 4 downloads)