Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    In a Season of Calm Weather

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In a Season of Calm Weather
 Login/Join

posted
I don't think I can ever forget RB's short story "In a Season of Calm Weather". I've read so many of his stories, yet I always come back to this one.

I don't think people could look at pleasures, and living in the moment, the same way after reading this story.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall reading this one!!! Does it make the "Obscure List" for others, also!? I'll have to dig out my copy of Medicine for the Melancholy. It clearly made a strong impression!

(Where have you gone Jeremy C. Tack? The RB Board turns its lonely eyes to you.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know, just last night we thought of this story as a possibility for our short film submission to the Second Annual Ray Bradbury Film & Theatre Festival, but had to abandon the idea due to the intricate drawings in the sand.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, then by all means I will be reading this tonight. Is there a metaphor somewhere in this tie in from 2001?

JCT would be pleased!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "In a Season of Calm Weather" is sometimes known as "Picasso Summer". It was once filmed, rather badly, although it had some nice Picasso-ish animations in it. (The screenplay credit for the movie was...Douglas Spaulding, pseudonym for RB.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, perhaps his worst film. Maybe even worse than The Illustrated Man!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Rhetorical?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Is there a metaphor somewhere in this tie-in from 2001?

You have me at an advantage, sir.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Just finished "In a Season of Calm Weather." As Picasso is madly painting in the sand, Bradbury is step for step with his brush to printed words on page. This is RB at his feverish best. Take a few minutes and read on. (In Medicine for Melancholy.)

Also, the story that follows it is a haunting, short piece. A bit of "Foghorn" creeps into the tale, "The Dragon." Did you consider this one, Doug S., when looking at screen possibilities? It would have made a very interesting RB Theater episode!

Yes, Phil! it is "Picasso Summer," later titled.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't recall reading this one!!!

Frank, I'm surprised you'd never read this minor masterpiece of melancholy - a beautiful story.
(It has great classroom potential as well)

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O-C, I did recall this tale after revisiting it in my old copy of Medicine. (It had been a while!) For some reason, I was more familiar with it as titled "Picasso Summer"

We are now doing an RB s.s. unit, nearly 30 selections, many followed with RBTh. episodes. You are right. This IS a great story - vivid, passionate, and flawlessly told. I may add at the end of planned readings.

A sidenote - it actually reminded me of a story I penned while in college. Of an entire class, I was the only person to attempt an original "short story!" Others took the safer option for a critical review of works already assigned and discussed in class.

Then, after much time and a very serious effort to come up with something different, I received a C+ grade for the writing. The pages were covered with many magnifications of what was wrong with the story. I still recall being actually somewhat aghast. I did not considered myself a budding author, mind you. It was just the manner in which the comments had been presented. This professor, who along with her husband, had published collected works of famous s.s. and did not take some time to fan a spark! No discussion was offered as to my sins.

For quite awhile, I kept my distance from creative writing. I happened across the story a number of years later and read it over, before tossing it. Granted it was not going to get me a mention in Who's Who of Upcoming Writers. But there were some metaphors and symbols worth acknowledging. My effort alone should have secured at least an unoffending B-!

Ironically, it was set on a shoreline, involved a Castle Made of Sand and a lost soul. It had a mixed feel of "Season of Calm Weather" and "The Lake" to it. (Quite melancholy with a spiritual departure as the sun set at story and day's end.)

This string of posts actually got me thinking about it the other night, after so many years. I always wondered why a teacher would not recognize the "interest" (re: only person to try such a baring of the soul - in a "short story themed course"?!) and thus try to, at least, nudge in some directions, if not simply humor to some degree!

Working daily with students, I strive to fuel the flames of interest. We'll be needing their bright lights and imaginations in the years to come.

Hmmm...Sounds like something out of the last chapter of F451!

Thanks for the reminder, Oz!!