Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Linnl is right on "both of these." No words are spoken between the two at the conclusion.

That scene earlier (or so) when Montag arrived, Clarisse passed by as GM was speaking with Granger and getting the background to why the Book People are out in the forest. Yep!

When I taught the novel, this always came up in the discussions critiquing the movie vs. the novel's narration.

Also, where was the Dog!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451 said:
quote:
Also, where was the Dog!?

In the movie Montag wasn't hounded, but he was hawked by Fabian, and at least once as a cross-dressed teacher. What a good soldier.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a cross-dressed teacher. What a good soldier.

Yeah! Great....right out of an early Monty Python skit!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...Also, where was the Dog!?

That old dog lying in the dust? Or a dog that thinks every day is Christmas?

(I know, the Mechanical Hound! Plenty of them here.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another way of burning?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. (At expressing a horror.)

Thank you for putting this "voice fused half of iron, half of irony" up.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a voice from the Civil War decrying the same destruction. Sorry about the "n-word," but it would be wrong to censor the original especially since using it in a Google search helped me find the quote!

Connolly, James Austin. 'Major Connolly's Diary: From Oct. 1st, 1864 at Atlanta, Ga., to Dec. 21st, 1864 at Savannah, Ga.' in 'Transactions of the Illinois State Historical Society' . Transactions of the Illinois State Historical Society, vol. 35, 1928, 1864. [format: journal], [genre: diary]. Permission: Northern Illinois University
Persistent link to this document: http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/fil...?file=connolly2.html

"Wednesday, Nov. 23d.
Division moved at daylight. A bright, beautiful day; roads excellent and surrounding country magnificent. We reached the capital at about 9 a. m."

(Followed by long, colorful description of the city identified only as the capitol.)

"The offices and State library are on the first floor, the legislative halls on the second floor and also the committee rooms....

Our soldiers and even some officers have been plundering the State library today and carrying off law and miscellaneous works in armfuls. It is a downright shame. Public libraries should be sacredly respected by all belligerents, and I am sure General Sherman will, some day, regret that he permitted this library to be destroyed and plundered. I could get a thousand dollars worth of valuable law books there if I would just go and take them, but I wouldn't touch them. I should feel ashamed of myself every time I saw one of them in my book case at home. I don't object to stealing horses, mules, niggers and all such little things, but I will not engage in plundering and destroying public libraries. Let them alone, to enlarge and increase for the benefit of the loyal generations that are to people this country long after we shall have fought our last battle and gone into our eternal camp."

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder what they did with the books? Weird thing to plunder...destroy I get, steal? I find that a bit odd. (I have to say I find the "little things" comment overwhelmingly disturbing and it sits very uncomfortably with me. Humans are a very disturbed species...)

Posts: 9 | Registered: 14 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some northern officers sent plunder of Southern riches home, but I don't see how the enlisted men would have either the means to send books, nor to carry items as heavy as books--and stealing law books and such is strange!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is made of the same stuff: with 4 year olds??
http://www.theblaze.com/storie...eing-healthy-enough/

Hair cuts will be next (remember the scene in the F451 movie outside of the firestation?)!

posted Hide Post
What is and isn't allowed in schools would make a book in itself. Years ago in the Writer's Digest an author wrote about her story, "A Perfect Day for Ice Cream," being picked up for a school textbook. When it was printed, both the title and the story were rewritten to omit ice cream. The reason: an entire print run of school textbooks had to be scrapped because an illustration on one page depicted a party with cake and ice cream, which self-appointed censors deemed unhealthy. This was a couple in Texas who became influential enough, no school in Texas would buy any book unless they approved. Texas was too large a market for publishers to pass over, so all the national publishers bowed to this one couple. This went on for years and may be still.

posted Hide Post
SO....in view of Doug's "Another Way of Burning?" post, and now what you have recalled from the Writer's Digest article, Dandy, where does that put these images in the discussion?

http://dolce.swaymyway.com/img...raceyicecream-02.jpg

http://sg.openrice.com/UserPho...6FE26C541E91E55m.jpg

("Don't interrupt a man when he is being ironic. It isn't polite!"
-RB Usher II)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
What is and isn't allowed in schools would make a book in itself. Years ago in the Writer's Digest an author wrote about her story, "A Perfect Day for Ice Cream," being picked up for a school textbook. When it was printed, both the title and the story were rewritten to omit ice cream. The reason: an entire print run of school textbooks had to be scrapped because an illustration on one page depicted a party with cake and ice cream, which self-appointed censors deemed unhealthy. This was a couple in Texas who became influential enough, no school in Texas would buy any book unless they approved. Texas was too large a market for publishers to pass over, so all the national publishers bowed to this one couple. This went on for years and may be still.

People are idiots, you know? And people who bow to them are even bigger idiots.

Ray loves ice cream! So there!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That relates to the bit In the book where he says for happy people give them only One side or better yet nO sides....excuse typos.hate my iPhone!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 14 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

People are idiots, you know? And people who bow to them are even bigger idiots.

Ray loves ice cream! So there!

That was pretty much my reaction to the story and the pictures.