Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    A Painting Tribute to Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Painting Tribute to Ray
 Login/Join

posted
I returned to college this past year to finish something I started years ago, having dropped out a few years back, and am close to finishing up my animation degree.

For the Two Dimensional Design class I'm in, our final project was assigned to us a couple weeks back, that we had to do a painting, sort of a portrait, of a famous person; without showing the person, only symbols that could be identified with the person. One requirement was that we could not choose a living person.

I was working on a Jules Verne theme, and was getting ready to start the actual painting, when I read about Ray's passing last Wednesday. I knew what I had to do, and cleared my last minute change of subject with my professor.

The painting is almost done (it's due tomorrow night!) and I must say it's far more inspired than the Jules Verne painting could ever have been, and why not, it's about Ray, who has obviously been a huge source of inspiration to all of us here.

I'll post a photo as soon as the painting's finished, so stay tuned tomorrow afternoon!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'll be here!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil!
Here's the painting, enjoy!

http://thegroon.deviantart.com/#/d53iamo

Well I'm on the way to the final critique. Wish me luck!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good work!

And, as per your request: Luck!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the 21-5-9 significance on the watch?

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parish, I assume you are asking this in genuine innocence. Sad to say, you're viewing it upside down: it reads 6-5-12. The date of Ray's death.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Parish, I assume you are asking this in genuine innocence. Sad to say, you're viewing it upside down: it reads 6-5-12. The date of Ray's death.

If I could report myself I would!

What a marooooon....thanks

posted Hide Post
Interesting, I didn't realize it was a number that could read upside down, I didn't even check for that!

Well the critique went very well. My professor made a huge fuss over the painting and I got a 99% and he's not an easy grader.

Thank you all for taking a look, and for your comments.

posted Hide Post
You have done a great job of designing, in an intriquing though revealing way, most of the major symbols associated with Ray's work. He often spoken of the importance of his touchstone metaphors, but here we see that these metaphors are so easily crystallized into specific images. In your painting, it is as if we could throw open a fantastical closet and see most of Ray's spiritual keepsakes assembled. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posts: 43 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
...I got a 99% and he's not an easy grader...

"Only 99%? Tell me, professor, what can I do to improve my work...?"

Big Grin

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
Interesting, I didn't realize it was a number that could read upside down, I didn't even check for that!

Thank you all for taking a look, and for your comments.

I'm playing these numbers 21-9-5-6-12 today!

posted Hide Post
I like it!

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post