Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    that time is here

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

that time is here
 Login/Join

posted
Well, autumn is here. Last Sunday, at the very moment fall began, I lighted my autumn candle and let it burn for one minute--I do this every year. On the first of Oktober (not a typo, that is the way I spell it) I began reading one chapter a day of "The Halloween Tree." I finished the third chapter this morning before I left for work. The boys have visited Pip's house and seen that he does not look well. And they are in the Ravine now, the Ravine that is filled with "lingerings of autumns that rolled over in fire and bronze and died a thousand years ago." Mr. Bradbury has given all of us this gift, and he and his literary offspring are forever a part of this most wonderful time of the year. Look out, pumpkins, here I come! (There is just "something" about the reek of scorched pumpkin flesh--)

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viktoria, the astronomer in me feels compelled to mention that autumn has been going on longer than you think: it started on 20th or 21st September! It's linked to the Earth's relationship to the sun, rather than being tied to the start of a month. (See this page on the equinox for the explanation!)

[Stands back while flames hurtle in from folks who use non-astronomical definitions of the seasons]

However, I agree that the start of October is the correct time to be reading The Halloween Tree. Or, indeed, Something Wicked This Way Comes.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"World turn! Leaves burn!
Grass die! Trees...fly!"

(In Christmas-sing-songy vox):

"It's the most!
Wonderful time of the year!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum
I smell the approach of Autumn
Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum
Smells just like cinnamon
Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum
It won't catch us if we run
Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
phil, I well know when autumn came in, on the 23rd of September this year. I thought that kind of odd, because I usually think in terms of the 21st or the 22nd (my computer froze up yesterday, so I am now just getting back on this). Oktober 1 just marks the begining of the things I always do to honor this month--reading "The Halloween Tree," "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," running my own Boris Karloff's "Thriller" tapes, etc. Have a wonderful month, and, needless to say, "Happy Hallowe'en!"

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Pssst! At around 3:40 this morning, Grasstains was talking in her sleep again! Rhyming, yet!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GRAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

(fyi: that's Zombese for "Happy Halloween")

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post