Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451 - the movie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 - the movie
 Login/Join

posted
I saw the movie on black and white television when I was about 14 years old. So many scenes from that movie have remained in my mind for all these years. After the movie introduced me to Ray Bradbury, I sought out his books at the library and became obsessed with all that he had written. Only recently did I realize that the ideas and writings of Ray Bradbury had had a profound effect on who I am as a person. Now that I am almost 53 years old, I want to thank Mr. Bradbury for opening so many minds in so many ways.

Posts: 3 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Griselda. I think all of us here feel the same way!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 52 and Bradbury has had an impact on my life (through introducing me to the world of ideas and literature) since 9th grade. For me, it was also Farenheit 451, but it was the novel. From there I did all Bradbury, then on to Clarke and Asimov, then the other "big" science fiction writers. Then literature, philosophy, religion, etc. All because RB's F451 turned a 9th-grader on to reading and the world of ideas.

I find it so affirming that new generations are turned on by Bradbury just as I was.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the F451 movie, various movie sites on the web are abuzz with an unconfirmed report that Tom Hanks will play Montag in Frank Darabont's new version of F451, which will supposedly be Darabon't s very next project.

Of course, we've heard all this before, but MAYBE this time it's all true.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at the risk of offending all concerned, I'm hoping it's NOT Tom Hanks!

Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed some of his films & performances, but I just don't think he's right for Montag. He's too old for a start (Montag is meant to be 30-ish, from memory), and his style doesn't have the understatement / subtlety needed. I know that there have been many discussions about casting the F.451 remake, so I don't want to start that again here. I know I'll be outvoted on this one, but I say Hanky is the wrong choice.
OK, wise guy, who then? I hear all you Hanks fans ask. How about Tim Robbins, or Jake Gyllenhaal.
Anyway, I didn't really want to start this whole debate again ...

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am doing an Honors 10 class this year and can not wait to build up to doing F451 with this group of kids!

This has been one of my real joys in teaching for the past many years. As for the movie...please, please "get it right!!" (Any updates on the status with Mr. Darabont?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Speaking of the F451 movie, various movie sites on the web are abuzz with an unconfirmed report that Tom Hanks will play Montag in Frank Darabont's new version of F451, which will supposedly be Darabon't s very next project.

Of course, we've heard all this before, but MAYBE this time it's all true.

philnic: Would you please motor over to Germany and find out for us the status of The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair movie being filmed.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, I'd love to, but this is the first I've heard of it. Do you have any more information?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
That is all I know about The L&H Love Affair. One of those things that Ray casually mentions.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite stories and when I asked Ray about it he said that there was a touch of autobiographical fact to it.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! A first rate performer. (So is B. Kingsley, but the script to S of Th got lost in the mail!) I am sure Mr. Durabont will want to proceed meticulously. A blockbuster in the making if all goes well.

Keep us up to speed JKT! Thanks.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Yes! A first rate performer. (So is B. Kingsley, but the script to S of Th got lost in the mail!) I am sure Mr. Durabont will want to proceed meticulously. A blockbuster in the making if all goes well.

Keep us up to speed JKT! Thanks.

Mr. Durabont is known for keeping true to an author's vision. Look how well he did with two of Stephen King's short stories: The Green Mile and the Shawshank Redemption. As many of us have heard Ray say often, "Just tear the pages out of my book and shove them into the camera."

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
As I type this the ink is still drying on Tom Hanks' F451 contract...it was just signed.

Oh.

Well, if Hanks' star power is the deciding factor in getting the film made ... fantastic. Anyway, ignore my sour grapes (I recently endured THE TERMINAL ...). I'm sure Hanks will throw himself into the role and do justice to the character.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I jumped the gun on my posting that Tom Hanks has signed for F451. My mistake completely. I hope I did not get everybody too excited about that prospect.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
The Internet Movie Database lists Hanks as "rumored." I would watch a film of this with him. If it was Tom Cruise...FORGET IT!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post