Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    If you could live in Montag's Society...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could live in Montag's Society...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
If i were to live in Montags society.I'd like it but then again i would hate it. Becasue your hole life would just be sitting infront of a t.v. and just being lazy. But on thelazy side..isnt that bad*Ha. But i would want to live there, because they cant read..and they wont believe in those kinds of things.So we wouldnt imaginate anything, because we think there is no such thing.Also,we wouldnt have feelings.So its a picky choice to live there or not...?�

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the other people to me are borning in Montag's society.I would be clarisse because shes not borning and shes the most different from everybody esle.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont,ILLinois,USA | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh my gosh if i lived in Montags society I would be really board. I would be board becuase I wouldn't be able read magazines when thats all i really ever read when I dont have to read a book for school. I would also not liking not being my self around my friends because everyone would be acting the same. Thats the good thing about having friends I don't have to be some that they want to be they excet you for who you are. well bye now!!!!!!

Posts: 6 | Location: lemont,il,60439 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old are you guys anyway? Your spelling is really awful at times.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a cool story for a school assignment: "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. Study the narrator/protagonist's deteriorating spelling as the story progresses. What are the implications of this?

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cosmic, Gothic! I've just been thinking about that story! The short story was expanded into a novel, which was made into two films, one for which Cliff Robertson won an Oscar, and another with Matthew Modine which was also excellent. I read the short story and saw the two films but have not read the novel. Evidently it was inspired by the author working with some mentally challenged students and other peoples' reactions to them.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gothic:
Your spelling is really awful at times.

Only at times? Seems to be ALL the time! Makes me wonder how teachers grade (my son's papers were filled with errors, yet he'd come home with B grades - isn't spelling and punctuation taught anymore??)

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If i live in montag's society i would wanna be clarisse.Clarisse is unqiue and different from everyone. She is very open and haves a mind of her own and she loves to talk to people and is against burning books.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont,ILLinois,USA | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be Beatty.

I LOVE TO BURN THINGS UP!!

But in all seriousness, I think I'd be Montag. Sneaking around like that, I think it's cool!

--scaryneighbor

Posts: 15 | Location: milwaukee, WI, USA | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
scary,

I THINK YOU'RE NUTS!!! THINK SERIOUS FOR ONCE, MAN!!

In my opinion, I would probably be Faber. I wouldn't want to get personally involved, but I would do what I could behind the scenes of the action.

Posts: 29 | Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gothic, dandelion-

I've often wondered about FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON the novel. I've read the first shorter version, but have never even seen the novel. The novelette(30-ish pages IS pretty short for a novelette) won a Hugo in 1960, then the novel a Nebula in 1966.

Things I've wondered are;

Was it written in first person?
Was it written as a "letter story" as was the first? Were only parts of it letters? Were the letters removed from the story altogether?
And of course-
How much bigger is it and what was added to the story?

Do either of you(or anyone else) know?

I've seen the old made for T.V. with Cliff Robertson and perhaps that is based more on the novel than the short, but we all know how screenplays always leave things out.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have done this first.

A reader review at amazon.com had this to say:

"Unfortunately, this book is on the Banned Book List. Censors claim that "explicit love scenes were distasteful." It also contains limited profanity and references to drinking."

Another said it WAS written in journal form.

It's 216 pages.

And Mr. Keyes won the SFWA Author Emeritus Award in 2000, not bad for a guy who only wrote one SF novel. A classic indeed.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only ever read the short story version, in THE BEST OF SCI-FI-5 (1960), edited by Judith Merrill. Never saw the film either. According to Merrill Keyes is a former science fiction editor (Marvel, in the fifties) turned high-school English teacher (yes!). "Algernon" is his second published story.

posted Hide Post
The Hallmark Hall of Fame version with Matthew Modine is also worth a look.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post