Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Folks who are inspired by Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Folks who are inspired by Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi all

I recently drew Ray for my illustration blog and decided to get some feedback from his regular readers. So, if you have a moment, please take a look and let me know via my blog what you experts think.

http://mattbaxter.org/

Thanks!
Matt

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Matt. I've put a comment on your site!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Author Neil Gaiman is inspired by Ray. Specifically, when he writes for the forthcoming Bradbury tribute book (edited by Sam Weller), he might be tempted to do a story inspired by "Usher II":

http://collider.com/neil-gaima...ds-doctor-who/99719/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For more of Neil Gaiman's thoughts about Ray, read the introduction he wrote for PS Publishing's re-issue of THE MACHINERIES OF JOY:

http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/...y-bradbury-692-p.asp

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the ninth grade I had an assignment to add a new ending to the Bradbury story, "The Veldt". It was supposed to be a couple of paragraphs but I ended up handing in something like 20 pages. My teacher looked at me like I was a nut (I'm sure he dreaded how much extra work it would be to read it). "The Veldt" was a great story with characters that were easy to write since they had their own individual personalities. It just felt so easy, and it made me really want to write my own short stories, which I did through the rest of high school.

I went into programming and eventually became a nonfiction writer, and mostly set aside my yearnings to write fiction, thinking it was silly and unprofitable. A couple of years ago though I started up again, writing short stories here and there, and starting but not finishing a couple of novels. I wasn't getting much of anywhere with it, but it just felt right to do it. Always in the back of my head I thought I should write a short story a day, knowing that Ray Bradbury could. It was possible.

So a few months ago, I finally gave it a shot, and it happened! I was shocked I could do it, but with an hour or two of effort each day, I accumulate a new story. I don't cling to them or obsess over them, I just let them come out, and it's very freeing, and if I've entertained myself in the process I consider it a successful story. And that's all Ray Bradbury's philosophy, from what I've read. I've just embraced it.

So thank you, Mr. Bradbury :-)

Katharine Osborne
My archive of short stories

Posts: 1 | Location: Honolulu | Registered: 07 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, in the tradition of this thread, I shall say:

Katharine Osborne is inspired by Ray!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
The makers of this music video are inspired by Ray. (They mention the story "Kaleidoscope" as an initial influence.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
This teacher is inspired by Ray. (Or at least he was, in 2006.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Writer Rick Klaw is inspired by Ray.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Young Italian writer and artist Maurizio Temporin is inspired by Ray.

In this interview he says "Sicuramente “il popolo dell’autunno” e “Paese d’ottobre” di Bradbury. Sono stati i libri che mi hanno fatto iniziare a scrivere… ". Translated it means that "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and the "October Country" were the books that inspired him to start writing.

Interview Maurizio Temporin

This author has a website. One of the pages is titled "A o West di 8bre", "West of October". Click on Illustrazioni and you will see some of his Bradbury inspired drawings.

Temporin Drawings

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another excellent find, bytorbass. Thanks!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil. I was looking for Italian versions of Bradbury's works and stumbled on this author. It would be interesting to read some of his writings to see more directly how Bradbury inspired him.

Actually, I've always wanted to read an Italian translation of Bradbury, but I've yet to get my hands on one.

Posts: 49 | Location: Where the Streets Have No Name | Registered: 19 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Link to Maurizio Temporin's page with preview of his book "Tutti i Colori del Buio". It appears that the main character's name is "Ray Pitbury". This passage is a description of the story. Maybe from the book's dust jacket?

It tells the story of Ray Pitbury, a science fiction writer, with very little money. He lives on a boat and in order to find inspiration he travels to an enchanting place where it is always Spring. When he arrives there he finds fields of flowers and a river with floating cow carcasses. However, this mystery piques his curiosity.Instead of leaving he decides to enter the forest, where it is said a nonhuman creature lives. He doen't find a monster but instead finds a being named Kolor Feresferatu. Ray doesn't know it at the time but Kolor will become his best friend.

Please excuse the simple translation.

Ray Pitbury

posted Hide Post
Might I offer that Pitbury is a good word?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parents are inspired by Ray. Or should be.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post