Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Bradbury in Chicago
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury in Chicago
 Login/Join

posted
It was noted in today's Sunday Chicago Tribune that Ray will be appearing with Sam Weller on Monday, April 18, 2005 at 6 P.M. at the Harold Washington Public Library in downtown Chicago. The evening, which is scheduled to occur shortly after the publication date of Sam's biography of Ray, is an event sponsored by the Fiction Writing Department of Columbia College, where Sam teaches a course on Ray Bradbury, among other things!

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 01-02-2005).]

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard. I read the Trib every day, but have not yet made it to that section as I am busy "undecking" the halls. I will be there, definitely. Can't wait!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My question is:

Is Ray really up to riding around the country? Does he use commercial air. or private jet? Private jet I could see. Lots of personal care there. But commercial jet is a problem, I would say. And the very stress of all the travel I would think is too much. If you all remember... it was about the time Ray was running about by the promptings of his publisher to get to cities he had seldom or never traveled to, to promote his books, that he had his stroke. Personally, I thought at the time he was doing so much, that it was an extra stress on the man. My personal observation.

If Ray is really wanting to do this, that's one thing. If he feels obligated or pushed, that's something else....Then there is the fine line of feeling you have to, and wanting to, and a mixture thereof.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

I understand your misgivings, but remember that he traveled to Washington, D.C., with three of his daughters and Patrick, to receive the National Medal of Arts.

When I spoke with him last Friday morning he sounded very strong and positive. Of course I realize that doesn't mean anything in regard to his physical condition.

In regard to travel I had the same questions about his flying to Washington D.C. and asked Ray one day, but I think he was having trouble with his hearing aid and he didn't fully understand my question and I did not pursue it.

Private jet would be the way to go and I am sure that Ray could afford it, but I have a feeling he travels commercial, first class, with wheel chair assistance upon arrival.

I am sure that many considerations will come into play upon his departure in April to Chicago. With you living there I am sure that you are looking forward to seeing him.

It is nice to have gotten advance notice as I am going to try real hard to travel from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Chicago to see him in view of the fact that I wasn't able to stop by and visit with him last October when I was in California.

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 01-05-2005).]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane:

I am sure necessary plans for the safe conduct of Ray through the myriad crowds of downtown 'college-town' Chicago will be well thought out. Mind you, downtown Chicago now has so many schools and colleges, with tall dorm buildings that rival the best looking office buildings, that there will certainly be a crowd of biblical proportions. The land of 'overhwhelm' will lay before Ray. Let those in charge insist that it stays in the far distance.

(No one has yet expained how Ray got to DC.)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Sam will offer us a few specifics as this unfolds. Ie, tickets for attendance(?), book signing or a lecture format, other related events that may tie in with the appearance. (Anyone in touch with Mr. Weller on occasion?)

Logistics for some here on the board would need several weeks of consideraton and planning.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick:

Kind sir, could you enlighten us as to the mode of transportation for you, Ray, and his daughters to Washington D.C. I think that this information, albeit trivial to some, would make a lot of us feel better in knowing that Ray is well taken care in his travels.

I thank you in advance for any information you might provide us.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, DO tell!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

Mr B, 3 of his daughters, and myself flew out, on a United flight. LAX to DC. SamT flew from Chicago.They had a wheelchair for Mr B everywhere we went. I didn't drive in DC, We had a driver, who took us all over DC sightseeing.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

Thank you so much for the information.

And yes, I remember driving in Washington, D.C! Just figuring out the streets is quite the challenge. Worse than driving in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

posted Hide Post
For those far away from Chicago, here's a photo of the Harold Washington Library in Chicago, where Ray will be in April.
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/illinois/chicago/library/newlibrary.html

posted Hide Post
I have been needing to do some geneology research at that library for some time now. Maybe I'll take the whole day off work and do my research and then go see Ray. Can't wait!!!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I hope to meet a bunch of you there!

posted Hide Post
Since the facts about Mr. Bradbury are best gathered here, maybe we can all help out in communicating the logistics, locations, schedules, and reservations for the spring event. The weeks will go by quickly and any insights shared would be appreciated.

Nard: I had previously looked up the Harold Washington Library, but your great link and the pictures of the building's architecture prove it to be that much more impressive.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo:

On the 17th of April, as has been posted, Ray will visit his hometown of Waukegan (Green Town, Illinois). There is a fellow I occasionally keep in touch with who headed the 'saving' of the old Carnegie Library in Waukegan, the one Ray used to go to when a kid, that will probably know a lot of what the event will be in Waukegan. I'll throw him an email and see what he has to say about it.