Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Illustrated Dandelion Wine
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illustrated Dandelion Wine
 Login/Join

posted
There are lots of illustrated editions of �Tom Sawyer� and none of �Dandelion Wine��at least none that I know of. What do you think? Should there be a mass market illustrated edition?

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They usually alter the text a bit (condense) in those illustrated versions to make room for the pictures. As long as they didn't change a word, I think it would be great to have ALL of RB's books illustrated.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish it could be done by Mugnaini. When I first started seeing his artwork, I mistakenly thought it was simplistic with the linework and all, now I know it goes way deeper. I have alot of his artwork that I copied myself hanging in my office. I got that book, An Illustrated Life, and its chock full of just fabulous amazing art renditions of Bradbury stories and books. If you don't have it, do yourself a favor and get it.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
J. Mugnaini search. Great. Click around for some classic pics - "many RB related!" Well worth the time to do some viewing here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2005-1...eph+mugnaini&spell=1

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've known Steve Ditko for decades...co-creator of Spider-Man...and tried to get him interested in illustrating a Bradbury short story maybe 15-20 years ago. But no go! He wasn't familiar with Ray's stories. Last I spoke to Steve was around mid-November, '05. He's getting up in years. Still look at his drawings and admire them as being somehow a cousin or lost brother of Bradbury's creative genius.

If anything, THIS would be the guy to get to do the 'Dandelion Wine' Illustrating . Now I spoke to Ray 2 or 3 years ago about Steve. At the time Ray said, Oh no no...I have already artists working on comic books of mine. But, once again... Steve Ditko's flair and great style would be a great compliment to Ray's artistic expression in words...

Check out some of Ditko's work:

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
I never would have thought of Steve Ditko but he�s a good choice. The examples on the link you provided prove you out.

But I still think Kirby�s Silver Surfer is better.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 03-22-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to locate examples of Ditko's finest...capturing the Mugniani touch unaware. Yet Ditko had a flair and clean lines that were absolutely "alive"! He also drew, for a brief time, under a pen name of Kotdi... or Kodti. He used a finer pen and an even stronger sense of beauty in his lines.

posted Hide Post
I won an e-bay on some old comics a while back. Included were about 20 Silver Surfer editions, individually plastic wrapped. What a hero - cruising in space on a surf board! Simply great art work.
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=U...20surfer&sa=N&tab=wi

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Sometimes drawings interfere with the minds conception of the story, so even though, to me, Dandelion Wine evokes a feeling of a softly brushed Norman Rockwell painting, I beleive it should be done by someone who deals more in the abstract. Maybe with vague outlines of people, and splashes of light and dark shadows, and colors, for the landscapes. That way, it wouldn't slight us in our different individual images of the story and people. If not done right, it would be tantamount to seeing the movie first and then reading the book, almost. Sad, but most who could pull it off wonderfully are gone. It may just be you, or any of us, who knows?

...And maundered Melville takes as task
To find the mask beneath the mask.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite cover was from the 1970s paperback edition (cover image if lucky.) It has that sort of Reader's Digest feel which evokes a real mood for me.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favourite cover for DW is the one that shows a bottle with a skull, bloody scissors and other things inside, but I cant find a picture to post. I love it because it's the original paperback I bought way back when, AND because I got it autographed!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion that's the worst cover ever put on that book.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Click, click! Windows open, finally here!
Dandelions on lawns, not long from now!
http://images.google.com/images?q=dandelion+wine,+bradb...NWE:en&start=20&sa=N

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Dandelion & Bra(as in, what's up Bra?, not "we were thinking that sometimes a man needs a little support, I think we'll call it the manzier. ----call me a manbo)

Although, I do like Dandelions choice a whole lot, and it is the one that is esthetically relevant, the one Braling II chose is also my favorite for nastalgic reasons. I took a picture of that one with my digital, blew it up and framed it, and it is hanging on my office wall. My book like that is also signed by R.B., much to my delight! Robots think alot alike sometimes.

Onward to Mars!