Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hello in there?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello in there?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello fellow Bradburyians,
In 5th grade I was in a group called "Battle of the Books." We read a bunch of short stories in an assigned manual. We started with "All Summer in a Day." It was the first story I ever read that did not have a happy ending, and it spoke to the depths of my ten year old soul. My dad was an older Sci-Fi geek, and he recommended "Something Wicked This Way Comes," but they were all checked out of the library in perpetuity, apparently. Anyway, I chose "The Illustrated Man" instead and was hooked.

Fast forward 20 years. I now teach Earth and Space science, despite being terribly disappointed that Venus does not have the vast forests growing under a torrential downpour. Anyway, today I happened upon a poem I wrote about a dream I had. I wrote it about a year ago, I believe. It started off as a Facebook post, if you can believe that, but when I typed it out, it just came with a cadence. I turned it into a song. I have always wanted to share it with people who would appreciate the references. I hope you like it, or not, but I just want someone to see it. There is a little explanation at the end, which I wrote at the time.

Last night I dreamed in Bradbury
with deep'ning shades of Ray.
I saw the Martian colonies,
and Venutian rains give way
to sunlight's golden shower gleam
off plants of deepest white.
The widow of the astronaut
who only woke at night.

Tell me a tale, Mr. Bradbury,
from the shores of your distant star.
Write me a story, Mr. Bradbury,
as you sleep the sleep of poets gone before.

Last night I felt the distant heat
of the velt unfold,
caught within the walls we keep
'tween children and the world.
I hear Mr. Ramirez,
calling back at her.
He knows not what to say just yet,
crying: "I see you never."

so I know you're looking down from Mars.
Write me a story, Mr. Bradbury
may the fires never taste pages of yours.

Sometimes I look into the black
of great and distant space.
Could I build a rocket ship
and somehow see your face?
May we always hear your stories
traveling through the universe
As you bid farewell to summer
and escape gravity's curse.

How we aliens find some distant shore
Write me a story, Mr. Bradbury.
May we be your greatest books forevermore.

I had a long dream about searching for Ray Bradbury's house, only to find it torn down with all his stuff inside. When I dug I realized the basement was still there full of his treasures. There was this big deal about the neighbor buying the land to tear it down, pretending he didn't know who Bradbury was. I kept showing pictures all the while trying to find his greatest treasures before the guy filled in the basement. When I tried to post a post saying something about it, the first line of the post seemed like the first line of a poem. This is my song for Ray Bradbury.

Favorite Bradbury Quote: 'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.'

Posts: 2 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 09 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarefootTraveller:
I had a long dream about searching for Ray Bradbury's house, only to find it torn down with all his stuff inside. When I dug I realized the basement was still there full of his treasures. There was this big deal about the neighbor buying the land to tear it down, pretending he didn't know who Bradbury was. I kept showing pictures all the while trying to find his greatest treasures before the guy filled in the basement. When I tried to post a post saying something about it, the first line of the post seemed like the first line of a poem. This is my song for Ray Bradbury.
Let us hope your dream does not come to pass.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, that dream creeped me out! Do we know who's buying it? Do we have any idea of their intentions? Red Face

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
OMG, that dream creeped me out! Do we know who's buying it? Do we have any idea of their intentions? Red Face

We do not.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the dream, I believe it was an old farm house, either in Indiana or Illinois. Honestly, you should never put stock in my dreams... They tend to be more Salvador Dali than prophesy.

Anyway, so am pretty sure it took place right around this time last year, a few days after the anniversary of his passing. I didn't even realize it until I looked it up.

Cheers.

Favorite Bradbury Quote: 'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.'

Posts: 2 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 09 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarefootTraveller:
In the dream, I believe it was an old farm house, either in Indiana or Illinois. Honestly, you should never put stock in my dreams... They tend to be more Salvador Dali than prophesy.

You're more prophetic than you know.

"Live Forever!"