Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Something Wicked This Way Comes

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Wicked This Way Comes
 Login/Join

posted
Its true. Ray will be hosting a screening of the movie SWTWC at 2:00 pm on October 31. Kids in costumes get in free, other tickets are only $7. See you there!

The Warner Grand Theatre,
478 W 6th Street,
San Pedro
(310 548-7672)

The Warner-Grand Theatre is the last of three original such theatres, with opulent lobby and decorative ceilings, etched glass chandeliers and colorfully-tiled fountains dates from 1931 - recetnly purchased by the City of Los Angeles for San Pedro and is undergoing restoration to return it to its former glory.

Buy tix online: http://www.acteva.com//ttghits.cfm?
Search on Something Wicked This Way Comes and the correct sreen will come up to order tickets from Acteva.com,
or at Williams Bookstore, 443 W 6th Street, San Pedro
http://warnergrand.org/
click on Tickets on the WarnerGrand website and the link will send you to acteva for the event tickets.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 10-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 10-25-2004).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd give my left pinky finger to be there. I wonder how much I could get for it on ebay?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd give my right pinky finger! (I need all my fingers on my left hand, being that I'm a lefty!) Heck, wish I could afford the time off to go!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the screening of SWTWC. Ray was on stage to introduce the film and gave a nice talk about hoe the movie actually came about in its present form. Ray then introduced Ray Harryhausen, who was in the audience, and whom he has known for many years. My wife and I had a great time in the old theatre and the movie was a good as it could be on the large screen. A great time was had by all. Ray looked to be in pretty good health and was gracious as usual in signing anything put in front of him.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I'm jealous (in a positive way, of course!)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copied from http://www.phobos-deimos.com/History/SWTWC/SWTWC.htm

In late 1997, Lexus rolled out a new ad campaign for the model year 1998 GS300 and GS400. The print campaign for "the fiercest automatic sedan in the world" introduced their new slogan of "Faster. Sleeker. Meaner," and included the lines:

Distant thunder, cold as stone,
a V8 screams down from its throne.
One by one, each car succumbs.
Something wicked this way comes.

Ill winds mark its fearsome flight,
and autumn branches creak with fright.
The landscape turns to ashen crumbs,
when something wicked this way comes.

Crystal water turns to dark,
where e'er its presence leaves its mark,
and boiling currents pound like drums,

A presence dark invades the fair,
and gives the horses ample scare,
for chaos reigns and panic numbs,

The ad agency responsible for the campaign was Team One of El Segundo, CA.

Posts: 1 | Location: Horseshoe Bay, Texas | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bet whoever wrote that is an RB fan--thanks for sharing it.

This is off-topic and I apologize, but it kind of fits here, and it has to do with Ray. For months, I've had this print magazine ad floating in my head that I'd love to see done. Imagine Ray, respendent in black tux, hands folded over a gold-handled cane, sitting in a large red-leather-and-mahogany chair, against a white background. Underneath, in a stylized font, "Imagine the Sound of Summer Running." Then, in small print at the bottom of the page, "just do it." And no, I would not ask that he wore sneakers.

It's just an idea that got my curiosity going. Has Ray ever endorsed a product? Has he ever been involved in advertising? Comments?

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray has generally shunned commercial endorsements and advertising. However, he did appear in a hilarious TV commercial...I think it was in the '70's...as a favor to the commercial's creator, Stan Freberg, one of Ray's best friends. It was a commercial for Sunsweet Prunes and I think it was called "Brave New Prune"(!)

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was talk of Ticonderoga Pencils doing a "Dandelion Wine"-themed ad, but I don't think it ever materialized. He has also "endorsed" Campbell's Soup and IBM typewriters in interviews, but not in printed or filmed commercials.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post