Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Fahrenheit 451 at CCHS

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 at CCHS
 Login/Join

posted
Rally planned to support ‘Fahrenheit 451’ at CCHS

Book lovers across the nation are screaming “censorship” after a local father filed to ban “Fahrenheit 451”—about the burning of book—from the Conroe Independent School curriculum.
Locally, Caney Creek High School students and possibly teacher will be participating in a peaceful protest during school Friday at CCHS. They plan to wear T-shirts in support of “Fahrenheit 451”, and a petition is circulating on Myspace.com to support keeping the book in the curriculum.
“We will wear T-shirts that promote the book and free thought,” said CCHS junior Darrell Lee. “There’s really not too much you can do without disrupting the learning process and that’s not what we’re trying to do. We want to preserve the learning process.”
Many students will carry a copy of “Fahrenheit 451” with them throughout the day and wear homemade T-shirts with quotes from authors of classic literature, Lee said. One such quote, “There’s more than one way to burn a book and the world’s full of people running around with lit matches,” is from “Fahrenheit 451,” Lee said.
CCHS senior Jen Mikulec said another quote highlighted on a T-shirt would be, “A society who begins banning books will end in banning people.” The students changed the quote to say “banning” instead of “burning” to fit the situation, she said.
Alton Verm, whose 15-year-old daughter attends CCHS, filed a “Request for Reconsideration of Instructional Materials” after his daughter was assigned to read the book for class in late September.
Alton and his daughter Dianna are offended by the book’s discussion of being drunk, smoking cigarettes, violence, “dirty talk,” references to the Bible and using God’s name in vain. Dianna Verm was given an alternative book to read, but her father does not believe any students should be required to read the book.
The students participating in the peaceful protest Friday are not directing their actions toward any one person, Mikulec said.
“We support their compliance because it’s exactly what we’re fighting for, just on the opposite side,” Mikulec said.
CISD Communication Director Kathy Clark said the students’ plans are a “very respectful and responsible way for them to express their freedom of speech.”
Teachers are allowed to wear T-shirts supporting the books because they have freedom of speech; however, they cannot participate in anything that will take them out of their classrooms or interrupt regular instruction, Clark said.
The Courier has received numerous comments on the story from people across the nation and even Canada. A Seattle radio station, KING FM, included the story during a piece on how media attention increases book sales. Local TV stations and publications also picked up on the story.
“Fahrenheit 451” was written by Ray Bradbury and was published in 1953. The book’s themes are censorship and knowledge versus ignorance, according to www.sparknotes.com
CCHS students plan to create a club promoting classic literature, Lee said.

By KASSIZ MICEK
Courier Staff
The Courier
Thursday
October 5, 2006

Parent files complaint about book assigned as student reading

Under related links it says "debate rages over book" the boy with the long hair is my good friend. I'm the one who started making tee shirts.

[img align=left]http://www.dazzled.com/t0mb0y/hellraiser.gif[/img]

Posts: 2 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The student has already gotten a different assignment. This is not about the dad's efforts to protect his daughter. It is now about controlling what other students read. That's what troubles me. I don't know, though, if he's simply trying to get it off the "required" list (in which case, the book would still be available to others), or if he wants it banned altogether.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An alternate might be “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand. Supression of excellence.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
An alternate might be “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand. Supression of excellence.

The alternate book is "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn.

[img align=left]http://www.dazzled.com/t0mb0y/hellraiser.gif[/img]

Posts: 2 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tOmbOy,
A thoughtful alternate with an intriguing concept. A book I intend to read.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" are both great philosophical novels in that they create a story largely designed to propagate a philosophical perspective. The literary quality is sometimes a bit light, but the novels are both fascinating and influential. I recommend them, although I know that, for some, they are hard-going.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is amazing. It's great to see kids supporting their rights responibly yet actively. E'a.

~ LordShen

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is "E'a" how they say "yes" in Maine or somewhere in the Northeast?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post