Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Kindle and kerosene

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kindle and kerosene
 Login/Join

posted
I'm terribly afraid that "Kindle" will eventually do to books exactly what the word means.
While the result will be according to the intentions of Captain Beatty, the method will be more to the liking of O’Brian, as people will find they are downloading “rectified” versions of literature.
This already happens in the printed word, so there will be no stopping the Kindle.

Ralph

Posts: 1 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 28 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph:
...there will be no stopping the Kindle.

There'd better be.

"I don't want to predict the future - I want to prevent it." ~ RB

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas...Fahrenheit 451 is available on kindle. Frowner?
http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenhe...UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with e-books - and they are an absolute boon for those studying literature - but if they were to become the only way of reading books, we would be in a terrible place, civilisationally speaking.

There is SOME evidence that e-books are driving out PAPERBACKS but not hardbacks. In other words, we might be seeing a re-adjustment of the market rather than the extinction of a whole medium. In any case, it's very rare that a new medium kills an old one; there is usually some reconfiguration of the old to meet new circumstances. (Radio didn't kill newspapers, but probably caused them to change. TV didn't kill radio, but caused it to change.)

I'd be quite surprised if Bradbury's books appeared as e-books, just because I know he is personally hostile to such things. But if an author wants to make money from his work (rather than be ripped off by unscrupulous pirates), he probably should put his work out there in all the forms the market supports.

[Norman Spinrad wanted to put all of his books out as e-books, but didn't have digital versions of many of his pre-computer manuscripts... so he went online, downloaded pirated copies of his books, tidied them up to match his approved manuscripts... and then offered them up as authorised, pay-the-writer e-books. He called it "pirating the pirates". Better HE should make some money, rather than the pirates.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEW hardcover edition available in January 2012. Smiler
http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenhe...id=1322644494&sr=1-4

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading the description of the book i would like to order the book on the launching day itself. I m eagerly waiting for 10 January.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 1 | Location: spring valley | Registered: 19 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small video, supposedly created in response to the news that F451 was being published as an e-book:

http://vimeo.com/35154197

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post