Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Bradbury Tattoo

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury Tattoo
 Login/Join

posted
Those of you that have been posting for a while probably remember this. But, that was before I had access to a scanner. This is my back peice, much closer to it's full glory.

It's the cover of the old version of "Long After Midnight."

the book
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=91364

my tattoo
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=Faler&pid=249926&sid=AMN68rINS6

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.....I couldn't imagine sitting still long enough to have something like that done! Not to mention.....ouch! It's really cool, though!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is fantastic!

Posts: 2 | Location: South Gate, CA | Registered: 26 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to pull out my copy of Long After Midnight to really appreciate the detail of your tatoo Faler. Wow! What a masterpiece!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a story behind it. When I was about eight or nine I was going through old boxes of books in my basement. I found that copy of Long After Midnight. I picked it up, read it. And about fifteen years later, I got a book published, "Omnicide." I've got three more written, still looking for contracts though.

The influence of reading "Long After Midnight" at such an early age is what I think caused me to fall into literature.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler:

Very interesting note. May I ask what Omnicide is about? It sounds interesting and where might one find a copy. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1--I found it at Amazon.com. The description sounds very interesting, and the cover art is cool. Faler, did you do the cover art? Congratulations on getting this book published! I plan on ordering a copy just as soon as I recover from the Christmas budget crunch.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cover was done by a tattoo artist in El Paso, I used to live with her. She did some of my work, she tattooed my neck, right big toe, and a mushroom on my arm. And, I plan on keeping in touch with her for all my books.

Omnicide is about a sniper. He gets his brains blown out in Vietnam, and he falls to hell.

The book depicts hell, as a culture, rather then a place of torment. Torture exists, but it is not universal.

I wanted to explore mythology, and add my own twist on what a land of damnation would be like. I threw in aspects of modern militaries as well.

One of my freinds borrowed a copy shortly before going to jail. It had the word god on the cover so he managed to sneak it in pretending it was religiouse text. People in prison are very fond of my work. Two people tried stealing his copy.

[This message has been edited by Faler (edited 12-30-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your book AND your tattoo! What dedication!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faler:

Having spent a year in Viet Nam myself many moons ago, I think that I would find your tome interesting as well.

Thank you for the information. And to think that you are a canvas, so to speak, for a very interesting art form.

posted Hide Post
Hey, nice tatoo, my cousin dedicate to the tatoo and piercing job and he says that make something like that is a little complicate for the mix of colors and shadows, well done picture

[This message has been edited by Herzeleid (edited 01-02-2005).]

Posts: 3 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 02 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
[B]
Having spent a year in Viet Nam myself many moons ago, I think that I would find your tome interesting as well.
B]

I hope you don't hold the historical inaccuracies against me. I was like 20 when I wrote the book. I got most of my information about that subject from reading about the Marine Sniper Carlos Hatchcock

And yes, I do agree my body is a canvas. Tattooing is one of the oldest art forms, it is intrinsic to human nature.