Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

memento
 Login/Join

posted
I have had the pleasure of "meeting" Mr. Bradbury during various book signings and lectures over the years. It is during these times that I occasionally see people give Ray assorted objects. Perhaps this is a way to say "thank you" when words and time will not suffice?

Some of my spare time is spent djing and recording ambient/electronic music. Of course, everything in my life is influenced (in no small way) by the writings of Ray Bradbury. A number of years ago, during a live dj set, I found myself thinking about "Kaleidoscope" and "The Rocket" and "The Blue Bottle" and and and...

Bradbury was there that night as I mixed songs and created something new. This mix was recorded and I had the opportunity to give a copy to Ray at a book signing in LA.

I understood that he would never listen to the mix, but it felt good to give him something in return. Something beautiful and new and original and inspired by him!

I think about the room Ray is sitting in during the opening of Ray Bradbury Theater. I imagine dozens of similar rooms, filled with trinkets from hundreds of fans. Hundreds of little thank yous.

Is something from you in those rooms?? I was curious...

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
djmonolith:
You are as crazy (in a good way) as the rest of us.

And this is a great point of reference: Why in the world does Bradbury make so many of his readers mesermized with his prose?

Take note Harper-Collins: Do you really know what you have? If it's all about money, you will not see it. Tho Bradbury is full of his own self vision, his life is an example of a youngster in search of his lover.

djmonolith, you are a man in search of your lover. Bradbury is one that hollars so loud you cannot ignore this writer in love with life. What does it take to say Hello back? Anything that permeates the soul with a resounding sound ...back?! Anything that explores the universe for a moment of... contact? Anything that touches ....the hem of God?

djmonolith: Your very comfort in sending the music to Bradbury, tho he may never listen to it, shows how real the response to Bradbury's effect is on you, and his readers as well! Should Bradbury be held with great responsibility to his readers? What is he really telling us? What is he really explaining in his prose?

Await!! Bradbury is not through with his readers...yet! Much more...much more to come!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djmonolith:
I have had the pleasure of "meeting" Mr. Bradbury during various book signings and lectures over the years. It is during these times that I occasionally see people give Ray assorted objects. Perhaps this is a way to say "thank you" when words and time will not suffice?

Some of my spare time is spent djing and recording ambient/electronic music. Of course, everything in my life is influenced (in no small way) by the writings of Ray Bradbury. A number of years ago, during a live dj set, I found myself thinking about "Kaleidoscope" and "The Rocket" and "The Blue Bottle" and and and...

Bradbury was there that night as I mixed songs and created something new. This mix was recorded and I had the opportunity to give a copy to Ray at a book signing in LA.

I understood that he would never listen to the mix, but it felt good to give him something in return. Something beautiful and new and original and inspired by him!

I think about the room Ray is sitting in during the opening of Ray Bradbury Theater. I imagine dozens of similar rooms, filled with trinkets from hundreds of fans. Hundreds of little thank yous.

Is something from you in those rooms?? I was curious...

I have expressed by love of Ray and his works in poems that I have sent to him on the occassion of his birthday, for several years now. I have one framed on my wall with the letter that acknowledged that he had read and appreciated the effort. It is one of my treasures. Love freely given is generally received and returned in kind. Ray radiates love like a fine cologne.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
djmonolith, you bring up a good question. As to the multitude of items sent to Ray by his fans and the items that he has obtained himself over the years, what a museum this will someday make.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Love freely given is generally received and returned in kind.

Ray has said that "you have to answer love letters, don't you?"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post