Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    has anyone memorized a book?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has anyone memorized a book?
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone ever heard of someone who memorized a longish book a la 451? I'm not talking about oral or folk storytelling traditions, but someone who actually memorized every word of a book. If not, I'm thinking about doing it: "A Tale of Two Cities."

Posts: 1 | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does GREEN EGGS AND HAM count?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone who has memorized "The Night Before Christmas" can be said to have memorized a book, since it has been published on its own many times. As for "longish" books, I haven't even memorized "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," which I certainly should know by now!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Cat in the Hat, by Dr, Suess. Before I could read, with the aid of the pictures, I could recall the book verbatim from begining to end.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before modern cultures became dependent upon information storage and retrieval systems (i.e. books, recordings, etc.) apparently people had what one would call better memories.
This is still evident amongst people who have an oral rather than written medium of preserving history, lineage, etc.
In fact, in the Orthodox Church, Canon law still stipulates that anyone being ordained a deacon or priest must have the entire Psalter memorized! (Just try memorizing psalm 119 (118 Septuagint)!)
Of course, nowadays this requirement is dispensed with!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am in process of memorizing the complete book of 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville. I have prepared for this for months, and hopefully will complete the memorization of the entire book by 2008. I am currently on the second paragraph, of Chapter 1.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Impressive, to be sure!

Does knowing the words to all the Beatles' songs count?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crabalocka fishwife...Goo goo goo joob!

(Reads like one of "Teh"'s posts, but I believe those are actual Beatles lyrics.)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And like "coo coo ca choo, I am the Walrus." Why did you have to bring up the Beatles Braling II?
All of my albums (remember those dudes?) are in the basement of my sister-in-law's home In Minnesota.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey "Sam-I-Am", how ya doin!!!?

>The Boy Who Fooled The Giant, my parents read it to me so often that by two I had it memorized. They told all of their friends that I was a child prodigy...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Crabalocka fishwife...Goo goo goo joob!

Might Mr Lennon have been influenced by a certain "herb" whilst writing that lyric? Surely not!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Why did you have to bring up the Beatles Braling II?

I put him up to it!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
>The Boy Who Fooled The Giant, my parents read it to me so often that by two I had it memorized. They told all of their friends that I was a child prodigy...

That's the best time to memorize! By the time we reach Kindygarten our ability to learn new things has decreased incredibly. Mr B knows this and has advocated Pre-K learnin' as one of the most important things we can do for the future of our civilization today.

"Live Forever!"