Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Years
 Login/Join

posted
It was September 1961 when "Basher" Walsh finally contributed something useful to his English class. Drowning in Shakespeare, I grasped my copy of a book of assorted short stories by modern authors, but had little idea of the magic I would find there.
The first story galvanised me, did things with my mind like a drug (so I'm led to believe!). It was called "The Pedestrian". I have been addicted ever since.

I had no idea who Ray Bradbury was, or whether he was still alive, but I bought every book I could find, in hardback because I somehow knew I would want to keep these all my life.
I just assumed I had his entire life's output, and this tiny collection has been one of my most treasured possessions, re-reading each story on a strict diet, to avoid losing the magic.
Adulthood took over, and the slog of reality, but my Bradbury would always be there when I needed to relax, the only thing apart from sex strong enough to dispell extreme stress.

From time to time I thought how I would have liked him to know just how much his writing has meant to me, and regretted I had never had the chance to tell him.
Then, re-reading "Long After Midnight", it occurred to me, strangely for the first time, to Google his name just to find out a bit more. I cannot describe my ecstasy when I stumbled on this website, to find that, miraculously he was still alive, had produced a wealth of creation totally unknown to me, but was also still writing!

It may be just another among thousands to him, but at the age of 64 I am going to write my first fan letter! That's weird.
It will make me feel good anyway.

And my thanks to the staff here for re-opening for me a new world of Ray Bradbury.

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I had lunch with him Sunday and he says hello!

You had lunch with "Basher" Walsh?

Oh, I see. RB.

:-)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

You had lunch with "Basher" Walsh?

That would not have been a pleasure! If ever a man hated his job - and small people.... Don't know what he loved, but he didn't love what he did. If RB had been my English teacher I would probably have been a writer this last 50 years!

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post