Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    where have all the dandelions gone?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where have all the dandelions gone?
 Login/Join

posted
ive never noticed it till this year, but i am realizing how dandelions are being hated. i mean, theyre a weed, but i never think of them that way. theyre beautiful. and as i walk by the houses on my street each of them has a little yellow sign that says their lawn was poisoned to kill all of the dandelions. from now on im gonna protect all of my dandelions. .......

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do your civic duty, and let them bloom. A pristine lawn is boring, and they add color.
Too bad if neighbors think them blight, consider them to be homage to Ray!!!!

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never...never thought for a moment that 'Dandelions' were a weed...until I heard it from the ...media.
Sorry, I wasn't quick enough to turn the dial that first time, as they say you should when you find something offensive.......or second...or....third...or....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelions, french for dent de lion (lion's tooth) were actually imported as a vegetable to America from Europe. The edible flower is used not only in dandelion wine but as a salad ingredient, and can also be eaten by itself. After arriving in America, they thrived and became wild. Now many consider them a weed. Once they have turned to puff ball form, their magic powers are released. Make a wish and blow on the puff. If you successfully blow off every seedling, you will get your wish. Also, you can rub it on your chin, and if any seedlings remain on your chin, it means that you are in love. These results, however, can be biased if, like me, you have a beard.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow i never knew that before.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor is meticulous in removing dandelions from his spring and early summer lawn. I must admit his front yard is more "golf course like" than ours. Yet, amid the golden buds lie bouquets brought in by the boys for their mom to be placed on our breakfast table or kitchen counter. Ah, dandelion season. Here in the NE it means winter is finally over!

From childhood, and still today, a dandelion beneath the chin definitely revealed love was present in the reflection of the bright yellow hue upon the person's neck. Try it -if you never have before - and watch the reaction this brings from the one being "tested!" His or her reaction will say it all.

Though they only last a few weeks, dandelions serve as a time piece for a slice of life that, alas, seems to be going the way of evening conversations on front porches or quiet walks around the block!

(And edible - A: Cut early (before budding of flowers actually occurs) fresh dandelions greens just above the root. Wash thoroughly in cold water. Separate the leaves, add olive oil, balsamic or wine vinegar, lightly season with preferred herbs, a few shakes of pepper, a twist or two of fresh lemon, dice in a bit of Spanish onion, and you are set for real taste treat. Some fresh Italian bread, a few black and green olives and a nice slice of your favorite cheese will make this extra delectable. Enjoy a glass of wine, too - only if you are not going to be driving anywhere, of course!!

B: Same collection and preparation as above only place the cut greens in a frying pan with some olive oil over a medium flame. Stir ingredients together until dandelion greens are well sauteed. Season additionally as you desire. Bon appetite!)

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about cultural divide. In the UK dandelions are most definitely seen as weeds. As kids we are even taught not to sniff the flowers as we will be caused to, er, wet our pants.

This doesn't stop the odd bit of dandelion&burdock being produced, usually as a soft drink.

Now, as for the puffball stage: we blow on these too, but not to make a wish. We call them dandelion clocks. The number of blows it takes to completely remove the puffball tells you what time it is.

And we certainly don't tell whether you are in love by holding the yellow flower under the chin. We do, however, hold buttercups under chins to determine whether people like butter.

(An off-topic, but related matter: I just heard American radio doctor Zorba Paster being surprised to hear that rutabaga is sometimes called swede. Well, over here we ONLY have swedes, and I am surprised that they could be known as rutabagas!)

- Phil, confused Brit!

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Poland, dandelions are seen as weeds, though in the rural areas they are often used as herbs. I rememebr making dandelion wreaths (of the kind one puts on their head)out of them. When one blows on a puff ball, one is said to release "kites" (latawce).
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: I thought "everyone" knew that a buttercup under the chin proved beyond a doubt whether or not you were ticklish!!

This is really interesting to read the cross-cultural lore of such common flora. The early burdock stems beneath the green leafs of mid-spring can be stripped (like rhubarb), steamed, and then mixed with a seasoned egg batter. They are then made into a patty to be fried or baked.
Grated cheese can then be sprinkled on top when cooking is completed.

(Dandelion and burdock soft drink, what does that taste like?? Intoxicating!)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 04-23-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great going, guys, now you got me dreaming about the yellow-blossomed flora!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have any of you guys taken the seeds of a puffy dandelion and really planted them? i have. i also blow the seeds where i know theyll be safe..... in a friends yard who i know doesnt poison his yard. i dont poison either but it was a long walk to my house.

posted Hide Post
In the "Home & Garden" section of today's Chicago Tribune there is a dandelion article. It tells a couple different ways to get rid of them, but also says maybe we should just make the best of the situation and make a salad or syrup(?) out of them. It gives a website for some recipes: www.seedsofknowledge.com/dandelion.html

Happy eating!

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 04-25-2004).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo
Wow, you've really worked up my appetite! I can only guess that you're a great chef!

This thread is so cool! It would seem that although the Dandelion is considered a weed pretty much worldwide, it is apparently an (at least) slightly beloved weed.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is the most stupendous non-conformist flower out there! The Dandelion says look at me I made it bright, and smart. Before you know it there is a yellow revolution marching across your lawn. Colonisation is just a breeze away. Then your lawn party has spread to your nieghbors, an the love starts all over again... Ain't it great....

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's flower power, man! Reminds me of a card a friend sent Ray Bradbury one time when he was feeling unwell. He drew a little dandelion making a peace sign and wrote, "It's your trip"!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post