Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    The Halloween Tree

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Halloween Tree
 Login/Join

posted
Every year I read this book to my fifth graders, and I started yesterday. I must have read it twenty times aloud, and I never get tired of it! I love this poetic book! It has all the writer's craft I want to teach them, and I even read it by overhead with transparencies so I can show them examples of all the great craft he uses. I even got a few kids over the years to get into his more sophisticated work and they've become fans as well. In 1971 I taught "There Will Come Soft Rains" to a 9th grade class and had great discussions about what it all meant back then.
I wrote my only fan letter to Ray about all this a few years ago hoping to hear from him, but wasn't that fortunate. I'm so happy he's still active and writing for us, and I was excited to find this forum of other fans.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent post, lar, and welcome to the board. How about searching for the discussion thread called WHERE Y'ALL FROM and telling us about yourself.

After Halloween Tree, you should try SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES with your class - or the first page of it at least.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Halloween Tree is one of my favorite books of all time. So happy to hear you're sharing it with your class!

Now, can someone please help me: I am writing to inquire if anyone has any idea who represents Ray Bradbury. A literary agent, an editor, as Don Congdon passed away last year? The reason: In 1980, Mr. Bradbury signed my paperback copy of The Halloween Tree, a MAJOR starstruck moment in my young life. Having never loaned it out in the 20 years since, I allowed a friend to borrow it... Car break-in, bag stolen, book in bag, book gone forever, heart crushed. I can always get another copy of the book. But it would mean so much to me if I could have him sign it again. Any leads? Whatever help you may be in this effort would be so greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Tegan

Posts: 4 | Registered: 07 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's tough luck, Tegan. As I always say, never let out of your hands something you can't afford to lose. (Best of luck with the autograph.)

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncannily RB:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic..../lanting-photography

Also, check the 2nd pic in this series. I think I see a Martian sandship on the far horizon...

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received the new CD of the new Blackstone Audio reading of 'The Halloween Tree' by Bronson Pinchot. As I told another board member, I was not expecting Balky to do the reading but I find this reading to be very boring. I've found myself drifting off and all of a sudden I've "missed" a couple chapters of the reading.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post